Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armentieres WWI uniform

Harry Cressy

Hi, 

Could someone identify this uniform, the photo would have been taken around Armentières in France, the soldat is named Archie, may be is Australian.

Thank for your answer.

Harry

Australien à identifier.JPG

Yes, he is wearing an Australian uniform with what looks to be a German belt

Dan

The wearing of a collar and tie is something that’s been observed previously in photographs of a few Australian soldiers, and is ostensibly incongruous in terms of usual uniform norms if the man is not an officer, regardless of national origin. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

It was quite common for men to wear ties in this manner (unbuttoning the top of the Service Dress jacket), so much so there were orders forbidding the practice.

AIF Order 384 of 2 December 1916 - 

981414447_AIFOrder384(2Dec16)-Dress(wearingofties).jpg.3ac165f2a5e8ac73330c4f726a4e89a6.jpg

Dan

Edited by Fromelles

2 hours ago, Fromelles said:

It was quite common for men to wear ties in this manner (unbuttoning the top of the Service Dress jacket), so much so there were orders forbidding the practice.

AIF Order 384 of 2 December 1916 - 

981414447_AIFOrder384(2Dec16)-Dress(wearingofties).jpg.3ac165f2a5e8ac73330c4f726a4e89a6.jpg

Dan

Thank you Dan, it’s really interesting to see that fad referred to in writing, I had long wondered about it. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

thanks to Dan & Frogsmile for your answers.  I will inform you if one day this soldier has been identified. I found an Archie Edwin King No. 19100 who came to France on December 29, 1916.