Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Case, Pistol, Webley ......... but which version?

4thGordons

Just bought this pair cheaply, they are in semi-relic condition but - what pattern are they (they seem to be different)

One might be a "Case, pistol, Webley, with "V" attachment" for the Pattern 14 Equipment (but with the V attachment removed)

The other is similar but with no signs of the V attachment ever having been there. There is a partial makers mark but I can't make it out with any certainty -H C______& Sons. is the best I can do now -- will check under a bright light etc.

Both are pretty stiff and one is splitting.

Steel cleaning rod is usually an indicator of WWII use but.....

Thanks for any insights,

Chris

P1020654.JPG.fff7609e24b08012774ca744e003540e.JPG

P1020655.JPG.5e6053caac5b70e714fd6b61666cbe4f.JPG

P1020656.JPG.540fad8b49f2adbb38d49bf7374a31f8.JPG

P1020657.JPG.19dfef9e3f6f43680efc2bdc2642b9bb.JPG

P1020659.JPG.c37c53e7721aa8e3aed7b3642b212cc3.JPG

Image trickery
1864395652_Screenshot2023-03-03121602.png.238db18bfe04f0817befa6dd5d0ca1ca.png
Unless 1952 is a manufacturing number.. then i think it's conclusive.

Zidane.

Thanks! -- although I am not entirely sure what it is conclusive about!  If it is indeed a date of manufacture that puts it outside the remit of the forum but --- who would have been making this style of case in 1952 and for whom?

I have been over the other one carefully and with the exception of the "S" pm the right strap I can find no more markings. It does appear to conform to the "Case, pistol, Webley, with "V" attachment" for the Pattern 14 Equipment and several online sources show similar modifications (removal of the V) claimed to be "for wear with 08 equipment belt"

Chris

Yeah true, you have a point..
I took a look at the manufacturer again..

"Ho???son and Sons"
I'm not sure on any manufacturers relating to Webley Holsters, but I took a look and thought HOBSON and SONS..
Take a look here, very similar.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/british-leather-open-top-pistol-1775857488

I've got a headache coming on due to school work and dehydration, so ill leave it there.

Zidane.

Thanks very much! That looks virtually identical! much appreciated (there is also one linked below it which is 1956!) interesting. I will investigate if they continued in service in Britain that late and with whom.

make sure you get some fluids on board! 

Thanks again.

I would still welcome any suggestions on the other one.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

You're welcome!
It's a rather nice holster.. I myself am starting to get into collecting more military items.. I recently collected a RAAF Summer Tunic, adding to my collection that includes a battledress tunic, RAAF WO Winter dress [1960s with WW2 ribbons and a WW2 WAC Cap... 

I probably get fluids in immediately

Zidane.

I believe the 1952 dated one is Royal Ulster Constabulary issue. The cleaning rod is WWII and is the type supplied with the Smith & Wesson .38/200 ‘Victory’ revolver. They are noticeably longer than the British made rods.

13 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

...Just bought this pair cheaply, they are in semi-relic condition but - what pattern are they (they seem to be different)...

7 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

I believe the 1952 dated one is Royal Ulster Constabulary issue. The cleaning rod is WWII and is the type supplied with the Smith & Wesson .38/200 ‘Victory’ revolver. They are noticeably longer than the British made rods.

As already noted, the maker is Hobson & Sons of London. They are a well known maker in the 1950's period for supplying various Police forces with leather equipment. To illustrate I've attached some images of a 1955 dated truncheon case from my collection. Essentially your pistol case is an example of a very old pattern still being used in a slightly reworked design many years later for those forces still obviously carrying pistols (such as the RUC):

DSC01167.JPG

DSC01165.JPG

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks both! Any thoughts on the other case- is it too a later one - they came from the same source.

chris

5 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Thanks both! Any thoughts on the other case- is it too a later one - they came from the same source.

I think you had it assessed correctly in your original post - that one is a 1914 Pattern example that has had the brace attachment removed. If it's been blackened it is most likely ex military stock reworked for early post-WW1 Police use in the same manner. 

Edited by Andrew Upton