Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Feeding Strength' versus 'Bayonet Strength'

WilliamRev

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking at various 3rd Division war diaries from 1914 and early 1915, and I have various reports on the 'Feeding Strength' of different battalions - presumably this is absolutely all ranks in need of feeding whatever their role. Some of the figures that I have to compare them with are 'Bayonet Strength'. How does this differ from feeding strength? Are men such as cooks and transport etc included in the latter?

Many thanks for any thoughts, William

EDIT: What I am really asking is: what exactly does Bayonet Strength include and exclude?

Edited by WilliamRev

On 01/03/2023 at 16:00, WilliamRev said:

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking at various 3rd Division war diaries from 1914 and early 1915, and I have various reports on the 'Feeding Strength' of different battalions - presumably this is absolutely all ranks in need of feeding whatever their role. Some of the figures that I have to compare them with are 'Bayonet Strength'. How does this differ from feeding strength? Are men such as cooks and transport etc included in the latter?

Many thanks for any thoughts, William

EDIT: What I am really asking is: what exactly does Bayonet Strength include and exclude?

Bayonet strength is traditionally those men in the four Service (aka ‘rifle’) companies A to D and excludes the Transport Section, Quartermaster’s staff, and various clerks, batmen/grooms, mess servants, and regimental police, etc. in the battalion headquarters and the second line (sometimes referred to as the ‘transport lines’).  Collectively these men were often described as battalion HQ ‘details’ (as they were ‘detailed off’ (nominated) to their roles). 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks Frogsmile - that's very helpful!

William

Don't forget the band, who usually double as stretcher bearers.

3 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

Don't forget the band, who usually double as stretcher bearers.

Sixteen men of the band were allocated as stretcher bearers to join the RAP plus another nine who had been required to train as semaphore signallers (laid down in the war establishment mobilisation instructions).  The rump were dispersed to companies and so were already categorised as on the companies strength.  The band sergeant sent to the “base details” and the bandmaster back to the regimental depot along with the Boy entrants still underage.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for those addition details - info was very useful.

William

There are two documents (both rendered in accordance with Field Service Regulations, Part II) that give an indication of the different types of strengths : Army Form B. 231 Field State and Army Form B. 213 Field Return.

Army Form B. 231 Field State has a column each for Fighting Strength and Ration Strength.

Fighting Strength “should not include details attached to the unit, or personnel detailed to march with the Train, or any men unfit to go into action with unit.”

Ration Strength “to include

LONDON DISTRICT. DISTRICT ORDERS, No. 68, dated Friday, July 5th, 1918.

2. FIGHTING AND RATION STRENGTHS—DEFINITION.

The definitions of Fighting Strength and Ration Strength contained in paragraph 13 of London District Orders No. 121, dated 5th October 1917, are hereby cancelled and the following substituted :—

Fighting Strength will include all Officers and other Ranks who are physically fit and sufficiently trained to take their allotted places in the units to which they belong, in the event of active operations in this country ; provided that such men are either ( a ) present with the unit, or ( b ) subject to recall in an emergency, and able to join within twenty-four hours.

Ration Strength will include all ranks drawing rations, plus all ranks who would be recalled in the event of a move (not necessarily owing to an emergency) and less all attached personnel who in the event of a move would be left behind.  In other words, Ration Strength will be the strength at which the unit would move if ordered to change station the day following the rendering of the return.

(Authority :—G.H.Q., F.G.B., letter No. 3362/A2, dated 29th June, 1918.) (C.R., I.D., 2/1862/A.)

Chris Henschke

That concluding sentence is a particularly good way of defining the feeding strength.  Thanks for posting it Chris.