Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreter George.

pete-c

This person is mentioned in the memoirs of a pilot during the Dardanelles/Gallipoli campaigns - specifically in relation to the preparation of the aerodrome on Tenedos (subsequently used by Samson's 'Eastchurch' Squadron).

I am presuming that he was a civilian, possibly of Greek nationality, and local to the island.  I have no idea if George was his first name or surname. 

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you David - a lot more searching to do, I fancy!

• 4 months later...

It's amazing what pops up when one is not expecting it.  For instance - the following - regarding the preparation of the aerodrome on Tenedos in March 1915:

"It is really rather wonderful what we have done: cut out vines; cleared the crops; cut a road to the beach; removed tons of stores - it is a splendid ground - all done by Greek refugees - under a naval interpreter called Georges - who all the navy knows - at least everyone who has been in the Mediterranean during the last 20 years.  If you read this letter to Sir H. [Meux] he will know him.  We are paying £1010 for 6 months lease of the ground and 3/- a day to the refugees.  What proportion "Georges" pockets I can't say - a high percentage I'm sure ..."

The above was written by Commodore Roger Keyes to his wife.  From, The Keyes Papers Vol 1, Navy Records Society.

A bit of a long-shot but this man appears on the Admiralty Medal Roll for Naval Interpreters (ADM 171/134/3). Greek surname ?) and borne on the books of HMS EUROPA at Mudros:-

image.png.5e3d2b56fa833793f88b5181492e2729.png

A long shot it may be H, but this could be our man.  As Keyes states, he was obviously a well known character.  There are surely mentions of him in other ADM papers ...  Just a matter of rooting them out!

Thanks again.

Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

On 01/03/2023 at 14:16, pete-c said:

This person is mentioned in the memoirs of a pilot during the Dardanelles/Gallipoli campaigns - specifically in relation to the preparation of the aerodrome on Tenedos (subsequently used by Samson's 'Eastchurch' Squadron).

I am presuming that he was a civilian, possibly of Greek nationality, and local to the island.  I have no idea if George was his first name or surname. 

Any ideas anyone?

Peter

Would this chap fit the bill? Reads as George Georges to me, but happy to be corrected. He boarded the Clan MacRae at Mudros on 3rd November 1915 and landed at Alexandria on the 9th.

image.jpeg.dc203bb500ec36f212eb786f4b226deb.jpeg

Regards

Alan

Edit: Image is a crop of my photograph of the Embarkation File at Kew.

Edited by alantwo

15 hours ago, alantwo said:

Peter

Would this chap fit the bill? Reads as George Georges to me, but happy to be corrected. He boarded the Clan MacRae at Mudros on 3rd November 1915 and landed at Alexandria on the 9th.

image.jpeg.dc203bb500ec36f212eb786f4b226deb.jpeg

Regards

Alan

Edit: Image is a crop of my photograph of the Embarkation File at Kew.

Alan 

This record would certainly fit the bill - especially as it seems to describe him as an Interpreter.  Would there possibly be any other entries on this list for people 'Late GHQ Kephalos'?