Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tapestry belt

Amy h

Hello first time poster. I have a tapestry belt which has been past down my family from my GGF to my father and following research I believe its dated from WW1 but would welcome any thoughts people may have . Its a unique item and has my GGF (and mine!) Initials on it. Its very rustic and a little worn as expected and would love to know more history if anyone is able to help. It has leather straps and a hidden pocket on the inside 

Thanks 

Amy

20230228_211034.jpg

20230228_211050.jpg

Edited by Amy h

Welcome to the forum Amy,

I have one of similar construction from WWI. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Tapestry/Embroidery works was commonly (although not exclusively) done by convalescent soldiers, and this sort of money belt/stable belt seems to have been reasonably common. I think they were intended to be worn around the midriff under outer clothing 

Do you know if your GGF was wounded or spent any time hospitalized/recuperating that might be when he made it.   I don't see much on there to link to a particular regiment or period but it is a great item to have especially with the family connection.

Chris