Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La Boiselle

stephen binks

I have always wondered who named these places and for that matter the Tara and usna? Whilst on the subject why were the German trench names not given British names or was this a latter development?

Steve

Steve

Intriguing question. I don't know the answer - but google-searching on Tara and Usna quickly ran into Celtic, Gaelic folklore, Kings of Ulster etc. These names seem to have a strong Irish heritage - suggesting to me that some Irish officer with an education in the classics came up with the names.

Tara seems to be a mainly female name with origins in Celtic, Gaelic and Hindu. Apparently it means 'Rocky hill or tower' (not exactly reminiscent of the La Boiselle landscape)

As for Sausage & Mash.....from memory, Sausage describes the shape of the valley - hence its name. Mash was the obvious name to be given to the next valley.

David

Dave.

I was under the impression that Sausage Valley was named as such due to the German observation balloons that were frequently seen in the valley. Some 'wag' decided to name the opposite valley, facing Ovillers consequently Mash.

Regards, Chris.

Chris is correct about the naming of Sausage and Mash vallies.

The Tara and Usna names come from the summer of 1915 when the 51st (Highland) Division took over this sector from the French. They renamed all the trenches and locations here largely after places in the Highlands.

• 3 weeks later...

I had always thought that Sausage Valley was named after the observation balloons and that Mash was named as its partner but in my researches into mining at La Boisselle contradict this. 179 Tunnelling Company was in the area from August 1915 to late 1916 and so knew it very well. The memoirs of a tunneller Capt S C Bullock (in the RE Museum) state:

"Sausage Valley was so named on account of the type of trench gun mortar which the Germans had in large numbers in this area, the projectile from which was shaped like a sausage, and was rather like what our 'flying pigs' eventually came to be."

Bullock also refers to Mash Valley as 'Marsh Valley' and the OC of 179 Coy Maj H M Hance in a letter to the official historian (in the National Archives) calls it 'Marsh or Mash Valley' and also refers to the marsh in Marsh Valley.

I haven't worked out why the Scots of 51st Division used the Irish names Tara and Usna.

Also the name 'the Glory Hole' for the craterfield in front of La Boisselle is almost never used in War Diaries etc. The earliest contemporary use that I have seen is in Shepherd's diary (A Sergeant-Major's War From Hill 60 to the Somme) on 14 March 1916. It seems to be an unofficial name. Has anyone seen it earlier than that?

Simon

As I understand it, the mine at Lochnagar was intended to 'take out' Schwaben Hoh redoubt.

Who named it as such, why and what does it mean?

Martin

May I just butt in here between the sausage and mash.

Paul - are you absolutely sure about the origins of Tara and Usna Hills? The Hill of Tara in County Louth or the Kingdom of Leinster was the seat of the Irish High Kings in the distant past. Usna or Uisneach is in neighbouring Meath (also in Leinster). To my knowledge hills of this name are not to be found anywhere in the Scottish Highlands. Do correct me if I'm wrong. An Englishman living in Ireland would not be the best authority.

I can't help on Tara and Usna but the 8th Royal Scots(Pioneers to the 51st Highland Division) moved to the Bouzincourt-Albert-Aveluy Sector in August 1915.

During the period September/October they dug trenches and dug-outs including "Gemmill and Bisset"Trenches,repaired the bank of the River Ancre and constructed "Lothian and Pioneer" Roads.

In November/December 1915 they worked on "Coniston Street,Martinsart Road and Mitchell Trench".and also the "Keep" at Aveluy plus,erecting machine-gun shelters in the front and support lines.

George

p.s. I should add though that there is an Irish connection during this period.In the latter part of October,Officers of the 16th Royal Irish Rifles(Pioneers to the 36th Ulster Division) were attached to the Battalion for training.

Equally in November various Companies of the 17th Northumberland Fusiliers were attached to the Battalion for training.

As I understand it, the mine at Lochnagar was intended to 'take out' Schwaben Hoh redoubt.

Who named it as such, why and what does it mean?

Martin

Martin

Assuming you mean Lochnagar and not Schwaben Höhe, this was named after the communication trench from which the mine gallery was started. Lochnagar Trench was named by the 51st Highland Division when they took over the sector from the French in early August 1915. Lochnagar Tunnel then gave its name to the resulting crater.

Regards

Simon