Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Id please

davidbohl

These 2 soldiers appear on the family photo of Edith May nee Baggott from Ledbury, Herefordshire.

The soldiers are possibly her 2 brothers Charles Thorne Baggott and William J. Baggott

I'm hoping the one on the left is my casualty L/Cpl #51576 KLR, Charles Thorne Baggott(served as Baggett) and his brother, the Sergeant, William J. Baggott.

Can we identify the Sergeant first with his regiment and ribbons.

many thanks

Dave

photo from a family tree on Ancestry 

Baggott_photo.jpg

BaggottCT_sisterEdithM_photo.jpg

Looks like The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) to me.

21 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

These 2 soldiers appear on the family photo of Edith May nee Baggott from Ledbury, Herefordshire.

The soldiers are possibly her 2 brothers Charles Thorne Baggott and William J. Baggott

I'm hoping the one on the left is my casualty L/Cpl #51576 KLR, Charles Thorne Baggott(served as Baggett) and his brother, the Sergeant, William J. Baggott.

Can we identify the Sergeant first with his regiment and ribbons.

Baggott_photo.jpg

BaggottCT_sisterEdithM_photo.jpg

L/Cpl CT Baggett is listed by the CWGC as having died in April 1917. The photo must be post war as the Sergeant has up the ribbons for his WW1 service (1914 or 1914/15 Star, BWM, VM,  something I can't immediately identify and what appears to be the Army LSGC Medal at the very end). So the chap standing viewers left cannot possibly be L/Cpl CT Baggett.

Edited by Andrew Upton

• Admin

Could be Monmouths? 

3 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Could be Monmouths? 

Thanks for the replies everybody, interestingly William J. was born in Monmouth

From Anc

BaggettCT_1891.png.d38ce8705e687b1e1c732553df8fc3a4.png

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

L/Cpl CT Baggett is listed by the CWGC as having died in April 1917. The photo must be post war as the Sergeant has up the ribbons for his WW1 service (1914 or 1914/15 Star, BWM, VM,  something I can't immediately identify and what appears to be the Army LSGC Medal at the very end). So the chap standing viewers left cannot possibly be L/Cpl CT Baggett.

I’d say 1930s looking at the womens clothes. 

• Admin

Paging @FROGSMILE for a badge ID

23 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Paging @FROGSMILE for a badge ID

Welsh Regiment I believe Michelle.

The officers’ version was similar to the Monmouthshire Regiment’s badge, whereas the other ranks pattern was more stunted.  There were several tail variations and these can be seen in the large group image.

As well as slightly different tails there was variation with wings, that were either upright or set back in more of a curve.  These all reflected differences in sealed patterns and manufacturers.

I agree with Michelle that it’s a circa 1930s photo.  The sergeant a WW1 veteran.

DB49DDD4-AA3E-4CDE-97BF-A43F2E164AF4.jpeg

87DE16E8-A66A-4B34-B8CD-9A9120A80D6E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Welsh Regiment

thanks frogsmile

does this help?

Screenshot 2023-02-28 13.39.55.png

1 minute ago, davidbohl said:

thanks frogsmile

does this help?

Yes it helps a little.  Rather like the Prince of Wales’s feathers the dragon badge can be troublesome.  It was used by auxiliary units of the South Wales Borderers too, such as the Brecknockshire Battalion TF and the Monmouthshire’s.  Also the Buffs (East Kents) favoured a similar Tudor dragon but the pattern used by the Welsh usually featured spurs on the dragons leg joints.

Perhaps worth pointing out that while the collar badges of the Monmouthshire and Welsh Regiments were similar, the Monmouths were a Territorial unit and unlikely to have featured in a family picture from the 1930s

21 minutes ago, 6RRF said:

Perhaps worth pointing out that while the collar badges of the Monmouthshire and Welsh Regiments were similar, the Monmouths were a Territorial unit and unlikely to have featured in a family picture from the 1930s

Yes I did say they were auxiliaries, it’s the reason I believed it is Welsh Regiment.   The Welsh later changed their collar insignia to a stylised POW feathers with motto scroll.

Its worth considering the dates.  In 1882 the dragon was adopted.  It changed to the silver feathers and motto in between 1909 and 1937 (when in theory no collar badges were to be worn on battle dress), but then returned to the dragon in 1949!

It throws new doubt on the matter.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, davidbohl said:

thanks frogsmile

does this help?

David we now have the Buffs back in the equation.  Notice no loop in the tail and no spurs on the leg joints. 

92FC8B34-050B-4E1D-B9EA-2C1F4BC0511F.jpeg

475B89B0-4345-43C9-BC3A-320419E4D51F.jpeg

9C310323-AB0D-48E5-B7D8-796BB84FD2F8.jpeg

DA572445-AB16-46A1-980D-6E6238984203.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Andrew Upton said:

The photo must be post war as the Sergeant has up the ribbons for his WW1 service (1914 or 1914/15 Star, BWM, VM,  something I can't immediately identify and what appears to be the Army LSGC Medal at the very end).

I would guess the 4th ribbon might be the IGS (post war version), & agree with  @Andrew Upton, the last ribbon being the Army LS.

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

David we now have the Buffs back in the equation

I think we agree it is post war so it discounts my casualty L/Cpl Baggott being on it, I've contacted the family tree to see if they have any further information. Some tree members don't know he perished.

thanks all again

Dave

2 hours ago, Robin Garrett said:

Looks like The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) to me.

Well done Robin, you got it from the outset.  Unfortunately the poor quality photo made it more difficult to be sure.