Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sucrerie Military Cemetery

condronjames

Good evening

I thought some members may be interested to see this picture. It is of Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps in April 1920. It appears on the IWM website but is not referenced as Sucrerie. It was taken by Ivan Bawtree.

I am extremely grateful to Ivan’s Great Great nephew (author of the book Photographing The Fallen) who has a catalogue of Ivan’s work and who managed to identify this as Sucrerie. 

I will be visiting the cemetery next month to pay respects to my Great Great Uncle, Herbert Guiver, who is buried there. I’m looking forward to capturing the same picture today. I believe I can make out Herbert’s grave in the picture - should be one back and one left from Chattock whose name is Judy legible. 

Cheers

James 

3B08B58F-DC9A-4311-BD44-520E12973DFE.jpeg.a192c6cd57a6e4d7bac512599f960fc4.jpeg

James,

I wonder if the trees in the background are the same ones that still line the path that goes behind the cemetery. There are books that mention the troops marching down the path lined by the trees and seeing the open graves. That had to have been a sobering sight.

Gene

30 minutes ago, genegwf said:

James,

I wonder if the trees in the background are the same ones that still line the path that goes behind the cemetery. There are books that mention the troops marching down the path lined by the trees and seeing the open graves. That had to have been a sobering sight.

Gene

I will do my very best to compare when I’m there on 17 March Gene. Will add to this post then. 

Make sure you visit the grave of James Crozier, shot at dawn.

Also if you have time stop by and visit Avril Williams and see her museum and tearoom, well worth a stop.

1 hour ago, genegwf said:

Make sure you visit the grave of James Crozier, shot at dawn.

Also if you have time stop by and visit Avril Williams and see her museum and tearoom, well worth a stop.

Thank you. I went to see James Crozier when I was there last year and I’ll stop by again. 

Which village is the tearoom in please?

Auchonvillers is the village, when you leave the cemetery the old succrie will be in front of you across the Serre Road.  Cross over Serre road and continue straight until the end of the road. This will be a short distance and end at a T intersection, turn right, at the next intersection turn left onto Rue Delattre, you will see her business sign on the right. The entire distance may be 2 miles at the most. Also ask her to tell you about Crozier.

Gene