Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical units

John_Hartley

I'm preparing a little project about the casualty evacuation chain and, whilst the mother site has provided me with enough details about what each bit of the chain did, I'm struggling to relate it to modern British military terminology. So, is there anyone out there who can tell me the modern equivalents (if they are different) of:-

Regimental Aud Post

Advanced Dressing Station

Field Ambulance

Main Dressing Station

Casualty Clearing Station

My project needs to be able to describe the issue in language that your average member of Joe Public would understand.

The terms that don't easily sit in today's language are "Field Ambulance" (except in the use of the word as a vehicle) and CCS. In the latter case would a Joe Public definition be to liken it to the hospital in the TV series "MASH" (although I know that's American, I suspect it would be easily understood)

Thanks in advance

John

Hi John

Below is a link to the NZ WW2 online journal, index page for medical matters: may be of general interest, for it looks at its structure and the lessons learned during the course of the War. WW2 did a lot to help the advancement of modern military (and general) medicine and the structure for dealing with battlefield casualties.

Covers WW1 and also CCSs, FAs, RAPs etc. in some detail.

http://www.nzetc.org/etexts/WH2Surg/index.html

Richard

Hello John

This is an aerial picture of 34 Field Hospital deployed in Iraq.

Andy

post-1016-1112698700.jpg

Richard

Below is a link to the NZ WW2 online journal

Wow!! Thanks for introducing us to this. My copy of Duncan's NZMS in Middle East and Italy cost me £18 about 10 years ago, current value of these OHs is £35 upward, yet we can now all obtain the info electronically.

I'm constantly bemused by how far ahead of UK Australia, Canada and New Zealand are in this regard, or am I missing something. Still, we won the Rugby World up, once.

Thanks for intoducing us to the Kiwi site. Anybody know of a similar WWI site out there?

Chris

Many thanks, guys. Awesome piccies. And fascinating detail on the NZ site.

I'd still welcome comments from current or recent serving soldiers about modern terminology for the various Stations, etc.

John

Another couple of shots. The first one is an operating theatre and the 2nd is a tented ward.

Andy

post-1016-1112824495.jpg

post-1016-1112824548.jpg

John

Regimental Aid Post - 1st line asset staffed by a doctor, regimental medics, ambulance, stretcher bearers and attached RAMC medics. Function, to collect wounded from company lines, first 'inspection' by a doctor, initiate treatment if not carried out at company level and improve/enhance company medics' work if necessary. Maintain airway, arrest haemorrhage, stabilise fractures, relieve pain, initiate antibiotic regime, prioritise casualties for treatment and evacuation.

A field ambulance comprised 2 functional medical components - in WWI, Bearer Division (later terminology, Collecting Squadron or Forward Squadron) and a Tent Division (later terminology, Dressing Station or Medical Squadron). Each of these components was capable of forming mini units. The whole was commanded and administered by an RHQ and echelon.

Now to modern parlance. Forward squadron's functions were to clear RAPs, to reinforce, replace or augment them. They were to collect casualties from RAPs and evacuate to their affiliated dressing station. The squadron copmprised a number of sections staffed by RAMC medics, RLC drivers/rad ops and commanded by a doctor or nurse. They would be supported by ambulance(s).

Medical squadron would provide the principal forward treatment facility in support of a brigade. It would have reception, treatment (major, minor and dental) and evacuation departments. Generally speaking, Medical Squadron would establish a single, Main Dressing Station. For some military operations a surgical capability might also be bolted onto it. If the formation frontage was sufficiently wide, or transportation sufficiently slow, then the MDS might be split into 2 (same departments as before, just not as capable) and moved closer to the supported troops as an Advanced Dressing Station. Similar role: receive casualties delivered by Forward Squadron, conduct triage (prioritise for treatment and evacuation) on all cases, refine treatment or initiate treatment if necessary, hold, feed, prepare for evacuation, remove weapons and ammo for return to the G4 organization. Casualties likely to be fit for return to duty within a day or 2 might be held here for that period (operational circumstances would drive this as a policy).

The CCS is now called a field hospital. MASH is a fair analogy. At this level, only the most urgent resuscitative, life and limb saving surgery should be carried out. Those who could survive a few more hours without surgical intervention would be evacuated on to the next hospital echelon.

Hope this makes sense?

Regards

Chris

In Australia late 80 early 90 there were two types of Fd Amb the normal one or Mech/ Armd

The Role: The rapid collection, evac and treatment of cas and the prov of advice on measures designed to prom health and prevent disease.

The normal one has a HQ with a Med Coy and Admin Coy,

the Med Company has a HQ, 3 Treatment Sections a Evac Section and a Dental Section.

The establishment is Offr 13 OR 112 Total Pers 125, Vehicles: MC 3, Lt Veh Amb 6, Lt Veh 14, Mdm Veh 10 Lt Tlr 23 (which include 1 Lt Tlr (water) and 1 Lt Tlr (Kitchen)

In the Mech/Armd Fd Amb the Med Coy has 2 Treatment Sect,1 Dental Sect and 6 Evac Sect

The establishment is Offr 12 OR 154 Total Pers 166, Vehicles: LRV/APC 2, APC-A 20, APC-F 3, TLC 1, MC 3, Lt Veh 13, Mdm Veh 4, Lt Tlr 13, Mdm Tlr 4.

The units and role still exist but I think but I think they have been Assorbed in to the Bde Admin Spt Bn (BASB). Will check this out and confirm.

there was an Australian Fd Amb operating in Vietnam from 1965 until a Fd Hosp was established (wich chek the dates)

Terry B

West Aust

Have just looked at the Aust Order of Battle for 1996 :

1 x Forward General Hospital (G Res) - 3 Fwd Gen Hosp, Keswick South Aust

2 x Field Hospital (1 G Res) - 1 Fd Hosp, Ingleburn NSW

2 Fd Hospital, Kelvin Grove Qld

1 Parachute Surgical Team (Intergrated)- 1PST, Holsworthy NSW

4 x Field Ambulances ( G Res) - 1 Fd Amb, Forest Lodge NSW

5 Fd Amb, Crows Nest NSW

6 Fd Amb, Brighton East Victoria

10 Fd Amb , Glenorchy Tas

I think the current evac plan for a Bn is CAP (Coy Aid Post) to RAP (Regt Aid Post)

To Fd Amb to Fd Hosp.

Terry B

West Aust