Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did marksmen really receive extra pay?

Muerrisch

Recent correspondence on the marksman badge repeats the widely held belief that a rifle marksman received both badge and 1d extra pay.

As ever, the truth is complicated.

UPDATE.

The more I look into the matter using my reference collection the more I realise that the correct placement for my research is probably the Journal of the Military Historical Society rather than cluttering up Forum bandwidth with unwanted detail including properly referenced facts rather than "from memory" and "from my notes".

After all  "in general this forum, unlike e.g. the Western Front Association, is perhaps not a deeply academic portal with lengthy articles and intellectually rigorous essays, but something more broad and accessible to the general public".

If, as and when the Editor of MHS accepts my analysis from 1800 to 1918 covering a myriad of changes of awards for musketry, I will notify the fact here. A taster: once upon a time a marksman did receive exactly a penny extra, but it was a long long time ago!

Edited by Muerrisch

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a previous post by you about Graham Knight and his book The Quartermasters Album. Really want to get in touch with him as I see his Facebook page has a photo of officers of 5th Btn RWF in 1915 .... including my father!! I think you know him from your post. Help appreciated!

Edited by Mark Astbury
Email address removed for security

• Admin

A PM to member @Chrome would be beneficial I think.