Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 De Courcy whistle with leather strap. WW1?

tonybiker

Hi. My aunt came across a whistle belonging to her late husband who was a railway signal operator. I can't find a similar one with the date of 1914, presumig 1914 is a date, there is also a number on the strap which again I am not sure if this was a later fitment or connected to the whistle. My aunt can't remember where her late husband got it from but does remember him always having it. He was too young for WW2 but did serve in National Service post WW2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

332653697_1159697328074929_6658950063217412367_n.jpg

333612085_882650999608659_6861393771179890872_n.jpg

Indian Army issue mark.  the number on the leather strap potentially relates to any of soldiers who served in WW1 

1 hour ago, mark holden said:

Indian Army issue mark.  the number on the leather strap potentially relates to any of soldiers who served in WW1 

Many thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Found this using his regiment number:

DEADMAN

Ernest Alfred

Sergeant 39239, ‘N’ Battery. Royal Horse Artillery attached to 5th Indian Cavalry Brigade. Died of wounds received in action at Cambrai 1st December 1917. Aged 27. Husband of Violet Deadman of 33, Eastern Road, Brighton. Son of Albert & Elizabeth Deadman of Brighton. Born and enlisted in Brighton. Listed in St. Peters Memorial Book under Sgts. Buried in Fins New British Cemetery F. 439

And his medal card. So the same name and regiment number, serving in India and during 1914. So it does look like the whistle and strap are orignal to this soldier?

Capture.JPG

28 minutes ago, tonybiker said:

Found this using his regiment number:

DEADMAN

Ernest Alfred

Sergeant 39239, ‘N’ Battery. Royal Horse Artillery attached to 5th Indian Cavalry Brigade. Died of wounds received in action at Cambrai 1st December 1917. Aged 27. Husband of Violet Deadman of 33, Eastern Road, Brighton. Son of Albert & Elizabeth Deadman of Brighton. Born and enlisted in Brighton. Listed in St. Peters Memorial Book under Sgts. Buried in Fins New British Cemetery F. 439

And his medal card. So the same name and regiment number, serving in India and during 1914. So it does look like the whistle and strap are orignal to this soldier?

Capture.JPG

The artillery did tend to favour the escargot type of whistle, so POSSIBLY unlikely to be him (happy to be corrected though). Using that service number in the medal index cards (provided the owner qualified for medals) pulls up 30 possible owners…it would be easier if the regiment were stamped with the service number.

Good luck with your hunt,

Dave.

18 hours ago, Dave66 said:

The artillery did tend to favour the escargot type of whistle, so POSSIBLY unlikely to be him (happy to be corrected though). Using that service number in the medal index cards (provided the owner qualified for medals) pulls up 30 possible owners…it would be easier if the regiment were stamped with the service number.

Good luck with your hunt,

Dave.

Many thanks for piinting this out Dave. No other markings except the five numbers.

My initial thinking was that he probably served in an Indian unit to have been issued with that whistle. However, on reflection, I suspect that stocks of Indian marked whistles were probably used for British issue in the exigencies of wartime. Dave`s point stands though - the standard artillery whistle was the escargot. Who knows what a soldier might pick up though?:unsure:

13 hours ago, PhilB said:

My initial thinking was that he probably served in an Indian unit to have been issued with that whistle. However, on reflection, I suspect that stocks of Indian marked whistles were probably used for British issue in the exigencies of wartime. Dave`s point stands though - the standard artillery whistle was the escargot. Who knows what a soldier might pick up though?:unsure:

Many thanks Phil for your valuable advice, appreciated. You may be right, I am sure a large number of these whistles were found, exchanged etc. I was surprised by the punched numbers, that does show a degree of accuracy and need rather than scratching or writing. What we are left with is a mystery, was the whistle ever blown in anger, and sometimes a mystery is fine as it allows you to imagine all sorts and increases ones interest.

I`ve never seen a whistle or strap marked, stamped or scratched with a soldier`s number - other than this one. You couldn`t stamp the whistle so I suppose the strap is the obvious alternative. I wonder why they didn`t seem to scratch numbers on whistles. Maybe harder to lose than eating irons?:unsure:

7 hours ago, PhilB said:

I`ve never seen a whistle or strap marked, stamped or scratched with a soldier`s number - other than this one. You couldn`t stamp the whistle so I suppose the strap is the obvious alternative. I wonder why they didn`t seem to scratch numbers on whistles. Maybe harder to lose than eating irons?:unsure:

Come to think of it nor have I, I have two unit marked on the straps but never seen a service number, I did see one a few years ago on eBay that was stamped on the top of the whistle by the patent number, but can’t for the life of me remember what was actually stamped on it.

Lovely scarce example you have there Tony.

Dave.

17 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Come to think of it nor have I, I have two unit marked on the straps but never seen a service number, I did see one a few years ago on eBay that was stamped on the top of the whistle by the patent number, but can’t for the life of me remember what was actually stamped on it.

Dave.

Many thanks Dave.

• 3 months later...

The whistle was made by A. De Courcy & Co., who were one of the two most prolific Birmingham whistle manufacturers, together with their main competitor, Joseph Hudson & Co.  De Courcy ceased trading in 1927 and sold their business to Hudson, who are still in business today as The Acme Whistle Company.

On 28/02/2023 at 19:47, Dave66 said:

Dave.

Dave, between 1908 and 1922 the top of police-style (a.k.a. ‘trench’) whistles from Joseph Hudson & Co. were stamped either PAT. APP 5727-08 or, after the patent was granted, PATENT 5727-08, as per photo.

Nigel

BF168B64-194B-4D9E-A18C-C4C78E733068.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nutting said:

BF168B64-194B-4D9E-A18C-C4C78E733068.jpeg

Thanks Nigel,

I like to pick up these whistles where I can, not finding too many now but never say never. One fascinating source I go to for all things Hudson is in the link below, so, for anyone reading this who has a general interest, well worth bookmarking if not seen before.

http://www.whistlemuseum.com/2016/11/11/dating-of-hudson-tube-whistles-news-pre-post-victorian-times-by-stamps/

Edited by Dave66