Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pension records and cards info

chaz

not looking for an exact document as I've got Ancestry and Fold3  but today I picked up a victory medal to 13674 Conway A J Gloucester Regt.

I have found a card on Fold3 showing his gratuity award, I know he was gassed and wounded and has his service and pension on Ancestry.

my question being I've seen some pension cards where its written the cause of the injury. did these cards stop after a certain date?

the card I've downloaded is a brown hand written one with no code number, the one I'm looking for is the one that's printed SB36

On 26/02/2023 at 16:09, chaz said:

I have found a card on Fold3 showing his gratuity award, I know he was gassed and wounded

Arthur John CONWAY, 13674, Gloucestershire Regiment

This is a pretty standard sort of card for a disability claim/award - in my experience, the disability cause was pretty rarely provided on such cards.

It also shows was discharged to the Z Class of the Army Reserve on 5-3-19

For clarity this was a Gratuity £28 in lieu of a pension so his disability must have considered so low potentially, certainly less than 20% disability, probably 10% [6-14%] or thereabouts or possibly less, with a Gratuity quickly decided upon and awarded instead.

My 'guesstimate' calculation for this £28 is based on 5/6 pw [the 20% rate in April 1919, becoming the 10% weekly rate later in 1919] for approx. two years [104 weeks], ish.

It rather seems he was expected to make pretty much a full recovery in a relatively short time.

On 26/02/2023 at 16:09, chaz said:

my question being I've seen some pension cards where its written the cause of the injury. did these cards stop after a certain date?

the card I've downloaded is a brown hand written one with no code number, the one I'm looking for is the one that's printed SB36

Sorry can't accurately answer the first part of your question about dates of/end of use of such cards, though claims continued to be made into the 1920s and beyond] however ...

The "card" you refer to as "S.B. 36" is actually a page from a MoP regional claims ledger for disability claims - typically paired with a card.

I couldn't find one for him so I suspect either not created, as he was such a swift occurance on the MoP books, or lost - as seemingly were many of the ledger(s) for Region 11 [SE England incl. London]

There is no evidence of a Pension Claim reference on the card [along the lines of 11/MC/12345 which would match the corresponding ledger page] so it does make one wonder about any possibility for a matching ledger page.

And I couldn't find one of the very rare 'PIN 26' awards files at TNA [I'm not at all surprised by this!]

So, via these records, I'm afraid no pensionable disability cause being offered.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

thanks Matlock

Apart from the gassing and GSW to back and neck noted he also had 2 FP #1's and ended up getting a toe amputated due to a septic toe on 27/9/18, due to a scab from a minor injury. the amputation looks like it happened while in France.

nice little story for next to nothing outlay.

41 minutes ago, chaz said:

a toe amputated

From the MoP guide: Loss of two fingers from either hand = 20% disability

So a single toe probably in the 5-10% range which would seem to suit his pension Gratuity.

M