Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Award of Victory Medal

KIWIWAYNE

Hi, I am researching Private James E Bowen, 83118, R.A.M.C. Royal Army Medical Corps.    His medal record indicates that he only received a BWM British War Medal for his service and not the Victory Medal.     This is the first time I have come across this though it may be that he served in UK and did not go abroad to an active Theatre of War.     Unfortunately his service record is not available and no other information found about his service.    Does anyone know more about this aspect of medal awards for WW1.    Thanks, Wayne

WO-372-3-5977.pdf

From the Long, Long Trail.

British War Medal.

Essentially the requirement was that a member of the fighting forces had to leave his native shore in any part of the British Empire while on service. It did not matter whether he/she entered a theatre of war or not.

All men who served in the main theatres of war qualified for this medal, as did those who left their native shore for service in, for example, India.

Victory Medal.

This medal was awarded to all those who entered a theatre of war. It follows that every recipient of the Victory Medal also qualified for the British War Medal, but not the other way round. For example if a soldier served in a garrison in India he would get the BWM but not the Victory Medal. In all, 300,000 fewer Victory Medals were required than British War Medals.
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/

Cheers,
Peter

3 minutes ago, KIWIWAYNE said:

Thanks Peter for such an informative reply.   kind regards, Wayne

Thanks should rightly go to Chris Baker:)

As I understand it, for example, a New Zealander who got as far as the UK but no further would qualify for the British War Medal, (as would an Australian, Canadian, etc).

Cheers,
Peter

8 hours ago, PRC said:

a New Zealander who got as far as the UK but no further would qualify for the British War Medal

Great explanation and this is exactly what happened to the Australians who left for New Guinea in August 1914.  Two battalions trained at Port Moresby and departed for Rabaul (then in German hands).  Just outside Port Moresby, a mutiny on board saw one of the ships ordered to return to Townsville.  All members of that battalion received an entitlement to the British War Medal.

There was a recent topic on a RAMC man with service in Sierra Leone which was not a theatre of war hence he only received the BWM.

Not suggesting Bowen served there as well but just demonstrates service overseas but not in a theatre.

TEW

• Admin
13 hours ago, KIWIWAYNE said:

His medal record indicates that he only received a BWM British War Medal for his service and not the Victory Medal.     This is the first time I have come across this though it may be that he served in UK and did not go abroad to an active Theatre of War.     Unfortunately his service record is not available and no other information found about his service. 

Odd middle name on Rolls James Ermys Bowen which may be a typo for the more familiar Emrys

He was, in all probability a Derby recruit, mobilised in January 1916 and posted to the RAMC Depot at Aldershot on or between 24th January 1916 (83105 Plummer) and 26th January 1916 (83122 Davies)

He was in all probability posted to India which was not a theatre of war (apart from a few exceptions on the North West Frontier - but certainly not the bases where the medical facilities were located.

I don't have any biographic information to confirm the above but Emrys sounds Welsh to me, in fact the Welsh for Merlin.

The 34th Welsh General Hospital was at Deolali, very speculative, but here is an earlier thread including a photograph

I do not believe the soldier was a New Zealander  perhaps the OP could furnish more information as to his antecedents

9 hours ago, TEW said:

There was a recent topic on a RAMC man with service in Sierra Leone which was not a theatre of war hence he only received the BWM.

Not suggesting Bowen served there as well but just demonstrates service overseas but not in a theatre.

Other places I've come across for RAMC men have included Gibraltar, Malta and I have a vague memory I believe of one who served in a hospital in South Africa. But could be anywhere in the British Empire.

6 hours ago, kenf48 said:

I do not believe the soldier was a New Zealander  perhaps the OP could furnish more information as to his antecedents

Apologies ken, that was just a "for instance" on my part, no reason to believe any New Zealand connection that is relevant to researching Private Bowen.

Cheers,
Peter