Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Asylum records for a WW1 serviceman

Woodsman

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience in locating and researching asylum records?

I'm currently researching G/2141 Pte Reginald Willard, 9th Bttn. Royal Sussex Regiment.  Reginald was born in Sedlescombe (E Sussex) in 1896, enlisted in 1914, and was discharged due to wounds in 1916.  In 1920 he was admitted to Hellingly Asylum, and I'm wanting to find out why he was admitted to the asylum, and whether this was as a result of War service.

I've so far been unable to identify an archive that might help me to answer this question, despite trying the usual routes such as Ancestry, West Sussex Record Office, The Keep (East Sussex).  I've also had a quick look on the National Archives website, but I'm unsure whether they will hold any more or different info than the aforementioned bodies.  Has anyone else tried researching servicemen that entered an asylum, and if so, which source(s) did you find most useful?

I know that a patient index survives for Hellingly Asylum, giving basic identifying details, but really I'm looking for something that might tell me what Reginald's symptoms and treatments were - why he was at the asylum.

I've found residential directories for Sedlescombe, which suggest that Reginald was living in the village following discharge, and all the way through at least to 1922 - though he was originally admitted to Hellingly in 1920, and the 1921 census has him listed as resident at Hellingly, so perhaps he was in-and-out of the asylum.  It is interesting that there is a gap of 4 years between Reginald being discharged from the army, and being admitted to Hellingly.

I have all of the usual background info on Reginald - military service (except pension record as have had issues with Fold3), census', birth, baptism and death records, burial record.  Unfortunately he died in 1932 of acute colitis aged only 35, death being registered at Hellingly, but burial was at Brede.

If anyone can help in any way I will be most grateful.

Kind regards,

Woodsman

I too would be interested in this topic, a relative on my wife’s side was admitted to Bethlehem House (Bedlam) some time in the late ‘20’s though I’ve no idea if this attributable to his service.

Simon

There is a 100-year closure policy relating to records relating to patients at lunatic asylums. A quick Google fails to clarify whether this relates to 100 years after the patient's admission or discharge/death at the hospital. I would have guessed the latter.

Searching on the National Archives website can lead to documents stored in other archives.

• Admin

I don’t have Fold3 but I wonder if the pension card might have some information? 

About five years ago I visited the Devon Heritage Centre as they had material for two county asylums.

I ordered up a bundle which included admissions 1918-19 which was my period of interest. My interest was in soldiers or former soldiers admitted from a specific military hospital during its operational period and closure.

Among the admissions were occasional Army Forms B261 which are: 'Order for the Reception of a Dangerous Lunatic Soldier'.

My notes give names, numbers, battalion, NOK, admission date, from where admitted and occasionally an outcome IE. date of discharge, death or transfer to another asylum.

I noted down some extra details EG. shell shock, fevers, gassed, wounded, date of onset etc.

There may have been more details which were not relevant to my search and not noted down by me.

My notes show these records as coming from

https://devon-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/3769A/0/H/2

For 1918-19 only.

There was a discussion on seeing these restricted documents as it was 2018 but I did end up with the admissions from 99 years previous.

TEW