Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major General John Blackburne-Smith - Indian Medical Service

PaulJC

Hello,

I am trying to find out details about Major General John Blackburne-Smith who served with the Indian Medical Sservices before and during The First World War. For a man of such rank I can find no photographs and very little on his service.

Paul

Edited by PaulJC

• PaulJC changed the title to Major General John Blackburne-Smith - Indian Medical Service
1 hour ago, PaulJC said:

Hello,

I am trying to find out details about Major General John Blackburne-Smith who served with the Indian Medical Sservices before and during The First World War. For a man of such rank I can find no photographs and very little on his service.

Paul

Hi Paul. I've had a good look at the newspapers through Find My Past and, as you say, surprisingly, there is very little and no photographs. The three articles I have found relate to the Major General's death in Cork.

This short piece in the Edinburgh Evening News 5th November 1928 lists Blackburne-Smith's elevated positions which I'm sure you already know.

46C75C81-5A79-42A9-90AA-67D859D2BBD4_4_5005_c.jpeg

Paul,

This family tree on Ancestry shows John Blackburn Smith in a family photograph. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/408726/person/222241632193/facts

There are also some details in the UK Roll of the Indian Medical Service.  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/6837:61103?_phsrc=SIn5763&_phstart=successSource&gsln=smith&ml_rpos=69&queryId=cfb7220431f77f743ff8a28892b343bf

Regards,

Alf McM

Many thanks all.

I dont have access to Ancestry so will need to visit the local library.

I saw the auction house photo and found on the Welcome Foundation site a photo album of Indian Army Medical officers from the right period. There were about 70 photos and I thought using the one from the auction I could identify Smith in the album (as most are not named). However, they almost all look the same with a moustache and the typical uniform of the time.