Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Defence Corps leather belt ID required

manxsapper1915

Hello all

A great study of Knockaloe POW Camp guard circa 1916/17,  but I'm struggling to id the leather pattern belts; the chap second  from the right has an 03 pattern, but are  the others wearing 1914 pattern with Dieu Et Mon Droit buckles fitted?

Your thoughts please?

Best regards

Baz

20221226_173148.jpg

They are the P1888 "Slade Wallace" belt. These were made in buff (roughened) leather, whitened with pipe clay and also as a smooth leather belt in black. Issue of the two types depended initially on the user regiment. The men on the outside have the belts fitted with the leather slider, mounting a brass loop on the top for equipment straps.    

image.png.3048bf211a9539a4932102ad1a82fd2f.png

This is a typical example, but with the Colony of NSW buckle

Interesting to see that they appear to be armed with Martini-Enfield Carbines

Chris

Elderly gentlemen issued with obsolete rifles, bayonets and field equipment. The tunics are the "emergency" pattern where pleats on the upper pockets were eliminated. The Corporal on the left is wearing a ribbon, looks like the India General Service Medal.

16 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

Elderly gentlemen issued with obsolete rifles, bayonets and field equipment. The tunics are the "emergency" pattern where pleats on the upper pockets were eliminated. The Corporal on the left is wearing a ribbon, looks like the India General Service Medal.

I think there are a mix of standard and simplified pattern SD jackets actually (on the chap second from the right pocket pleats and rifle patches are visible on the SD jacket)

The chap in the middle seems to have a much lighter coloured jacket (could be an effect of lighting or tonal variation on the print but...)  the contrast with his trousers and the other men around him is marked. At first I wondered if he might have had "Kitchener Blue" trousers on (looking at how dark they are and the contrast with his puttees/jacket which would be similarly lit.

On the chap to the left of the gent sporting the medal ribbon - is that a flaw on the photo or does he have some sort of emblem/insignia/badge on his left breast pocket?

Chris

3 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

some sort of emblem/insignia/badge on his left breast pocket

Hi Chris,

That caught my eye also. It could be a flaw in the original negative, but it could be a badge. Just unsure what badge would be appropriate to wear on a uniform at that time that looks like that. Any idea ? Need the happy frog to have a look.

Ross

I wonder, should it not be a photographic flaw, if it may be a fob on a watch chain or perhaps a Masonic emblem ? I wonder if he is also wearing a ribbon.

I must add that I’m on a small phone screen looking through a pair of pound shop readers so the above may be my usual Bunkum.

Simon