Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bunker between Bonavis and Banteux with inscription 1917

ak16

Hello,

This weekend I plan a visit to the battlefield in and around Bonavis/Banteux/Epehy. One of my goals is a German built bunker somewhere in a field between Bonavis and Banteux bearing the inscription: "Erbaut in Sept. 1917 von III/P.K." (also see reference in the book "The Hindenburg Line" von Peter Oldham). There are a small number of bunkers visible in the fields, but no idea which one. Anyone who can assist and give some more specific information? The bunker with inscription in Bois de Laleau is known to me, but my question concerns another one.

Many thanks!

kind regards, Wim D.

Pop in to the Beatus Hotel and ask Philippe. 

• Admin

@mebu might be able to help. 

You'll find it (hope it's still there, they keep disappearing) in the small embankment circled in red. Trench map reference is 57c SE2 R24a 7,8

If /when you visit and want a photo, I would suggest morning rather than afternoon due to light direction.

I would appreciate a copy if you take one.

Peter

erbaut.jpg

1 hour ago, mebu said:

You'll find it (hope it's still there, they keep disappearing) in the small embankment circled in red. Trench map reference is 57c SE2 R24a 7,8

If /when you visit and want a photo, I would suggest morning rather than afternoon due to light direction.

I would appreciate a copy if you take one.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Many thanks! Much appreciated! Normally the visit is planned in the morning. I will certainly pass on some pics if we were able to locate this structure.

best regards and thanks again, Wim Degrande

Hello Peter,

Thanks again... This structure was already on our "to do" list. Also, provided the fields are not too muddy, the ones close to the Bonavis crossroads. Looking forward to a "fruitfull" trip...

best regards, Wim Degrande

Bonavis_bunker_google.jpg.32fa935bcae00bb76849194bc9d9dbb6.jpg

Hello Peter,

The bunker with inscription, visible bottom right in this Google view (I suppose you meant this point) is no longer there. We saw that some digging had recently taken place but everything was now flattened. We then searched the strip of wood in the field left to it but all we found there were the remains of some kind of low concrete structure/bunker partially destroyed. Nothing of importance so to speak. So another (important) bunker that is gone... The Blinkstelle which you also marked in another posting and which I knew from the past is still there, although the small tree in front is hiding the "house" effect of the structure.

Wim D.

Wim I thought it was in the strip of wood to the left of your photo, backing onto a low embankment, but cannot identify this contour on an aerial photo. Just found a map with Battalion HQ marked there.

Whichever it was, looks like it has gone now, maybe the concrete bits you found. A shame, part of a continuous situation, but cannot really blame the farmer if it's a problem for him.

Enjoy your future visits. Peter

Hi Peter,

See photo for the remains we found in the embankment on the left side. I could not make out any function or possible layout of this structure.

Wim

Bonavis.JPG

Wim this may be it. Shame about the condition. Not sure about the one which appeared on the aerial photo.

It is many years since I was there, maybe 35, I have been trying to find some photos but these were pre-digital, I have found my original field trench map and it does put it in this embankment (although before GPS and Google maps).

Attached is map I have found showing the Battalion here at the same place, so it does look likely. The map on page 149 of the Hindenburg Line book shows a bank of about 10 "im Bau befindl.Unterst.", works in progress, here.

Well done for looking.

May I ask if you have a particular interest in this area, or bunkers in general?

Peter

mulde.jpg

Hi Peter, this specific area was "searched" by me in order to guide some German friends here. Yes, bunkers are one of my specific interests. My main point of interest is the Argonne forest in France (I published 3 books about this subject) but besides some other themes, bunkers are of specific interest to me. I live in West-Flanders, so the Salient and Northern France are within easy reach. I find the area in Northern France (let's say between Lille and Béthune) particulary interesting as far as bunkers are concerned, because there is a big variety as far as looks and construction types are concerned. As are those in the Vosges area but that is a separate subject. Also impressive is the former "Hollandstellung" in Flanders, running close to the border with the Netherlands. This bunkerline, build mainly in 1917, is still very visible. Numerous bunkers are still there in the landscape. A lot of them are "Regelbau" and are of similar construction types but nevertheless it is an interesting line te explore and to photograph. The Hollandstellung saw no real action, but remains an important historical reminder. After 35 years of exploring and battlefield walks, one has seen quite a bit...

Wim D.

Here is an example of a German bunker of the Hollandstellung. Some parts of this line contain a number of bunkers built with concrete stones, not like the bunkers one usually finds. Nothing to do with this started topic, but just by way of illustration...

Hollandstellung_Wim_Degrande.JPG

Hello Wim. Thanks for the reply and info.

I know the Hollandstellung a little, not very well, some very interesting structures. You probably know the one at Langeweg, Middelburg, Mauritz, with 1917 photo of camouflaged building, (see Pill Boxes on the Western Front) we did find there, maybe 1985, an inscription on a machine gun stand with the date, difficult to see so chalked in for photo (attached) which did not appear in the later Flanders inventaris.

The Lille-Bethune area is very interesting, to the west are many British bunkers and posts which are seldom visited. Some good structures. I put these into a book in 2014, the idea was to log every existing British bunker, over 200, in France and Belgium as they are continually disappearing. Some very rapid developments in late 1917 and 1918.

The Vosges, and Argonne, I have visited but very briefly and have no knowledge of.

In fact I have not been over to France and Flanders for 7-8 years. I do miss my Trois Monts and La Chouffe.

Overall, a very interesting subject, certainly lots to go at and trust you enjoy your visits.

Peter

erbaut_0001.jpg

Edited by mebu