Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant later Major John Gilderdale Jennings, 34th Sikh Pioneers and 66th Punjabis I.A.

Old Owl

Hi All,

Almost 15 years ago I posted a request for an image of the above officer who served in India 1896-1900 and China 1900 with the 34th Sikh Pioneers. He then took up a posting with the 66th Punjabis until early 1915, when he was attached to the 6th Royal Dublin Fusiliers with which unit he served as 2/ic at Gallipoli. He was subsequently killed in action during that campaign.

Following on from the recent amazing sleuthing relating to the 'Staff College,1911' group photo--I just wondered if anyone had come across an image of John Gilderdale Jennings in a group photo or other.

Any help to this end would be much appreciated,

TIA, Robert

• 8 months later...
  • Admin
On 19/02/2023 at 22:49, Old Owl said:

Hi All,

Almost 15 years ago I posted a request for an image of the above officer who served in India 1896-1900 and China 1900 with the 34th Sikh Pioneers. He then took up a posting with the 66th Punjabis until early 1915, when he was attached to the 6th Royal Dublin Fusiliers with which unit he served as 2/ic at Gallipoli. He was subsequently killed in action during that campaign.

Following on from the recent amazing sleuthing relating to the 'Staff College,1911' group photo--I just wondered if anyone had come across an image of John Gilderdale Jennings in a group photo or other.

Any help to this end would be much appreciated,

TIA, Robert

Hello Robert,

looking into your post no pictures have been forthcoming.

I have been all over the internet looking but not  yet finished.

The staff college pictures were very in interesting and I learned a lot from them in more ways than one.

The only thing I can give you so far is this, a link to a book in which Lt Jennings is mentioned.

Link here; https://archive.org/details/dli.csl.8907/page/n391/mode/2up?q=Jennings

@PRC  who was a huge contributor in the Staff College post may have some better ideas.

Also @FROGSMILE may have some leads?

There is a  huge amount written about this period of history, just a matter of reading and following leads/ideas.

If you have found anything since posting your request,  I would be very interested to view it.

With regards, Bob.

15 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Hello Robert,

looking into your post no pictures have been forthcoming.

I have been all over the internet looking but not  yet finished.

The staff college pictures were very in interesting and I learned a lot from them in more ways than one.

The only thing I can give you so far is this, a link to a book in which Lt Jennings is mentioned.

Link here; https://archive.org/details/dli.csl.8907/page/n391/mode/2up?q=Jennings

@PRC  who was a huge contributor in the Staff College post may have some better ideas.

Also @FROGSMILE may have some leads?

There is a  huge amount written about this period of history, just a matter of reading and following leads/ideas.

If you have found anything since posting your request,  I would be very interested to view it.

With regards, Bob.

I’ve only been able to find these details Bob, and I imagine that Old Owl is already familiar with them:

1.https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56012830/john-gilderdale-jennings

2.http://www.hertsatwar.co.uk/biographies/984141/john-(jack)-gilderdale-jennings

3.http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/6-batt/officers/officers-6-rdf.html

IMG_0533.jpeg

Hello Bob,

Many thanks for all your efforts on my behalf and also for the link to the history of the 34th Sikh Pioneers. I have now added these pages to my file on Jack Jennings.

Although my quest to find an image of JGJ continues I have been lucky enough to come across and to purchase two original documents which relate to him. One is his 'Permanent Certificate of Qualification in Subject (C)' for his promotion to the rank of Major. This is signed and dated 'Nowshera, 25th Feb. 1905.

The other is a seven page letter dated 14/2/16 written to Jack Jennings' wife by 'Malcolm Lonsdale' (probably Major MPE Lonsdale, 2/IC 7th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers). I believe that the two battalions were in the same brigade and hence the same attack in which JGJ was killed.

I can post a transcript of the letter just in case you are interested? The letter is written on headed paper: 'Central Station Hotel, Newcastle on Tyne' and dated 14/2/16.

Many thanks again,

Best, Robert

Many thanks for your input Frogsmile.

I am indeed very familiar with all these entries, but never the less appreciate the links and your efforts in finding them.

Best, Robert

4 hours ago, Old Owl said:

Many thanks for your input Frogsmile.

I am indeed very familiar with all these entries, but never the less appreciate the links and your efforts in finding them.

Best, Robert

I’m only sorry that I couldn’t help more.  If he went to a prestigious school, and if that school still exists, it might be worth contacting them to see if there are any old sports photographs for e.g. cricket, rugger, etc.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

He went to Westward Ho! college. 

45 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Excellent Michelle, that’s a good lead.  Westward Ho later merged with the Imperial Service College that was subsequently combined with Haileybury.  Apparently they have some good archives accessible via here:https://www.haileybury.com/about-haileybury/our-story/archives/

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Thanks Michelle and @FROGSMILE,

I had been down this route the other evening and drawn a blank.

I cannot see him listed on their roll of Honour.

There are other notable men there such as 'Major General Sir Thompson Capper, KCMG, CB, DSO'.

It was late so I may have missed 'J G Jennings'.

https://www.hailsoc.org/roll-of-honour

If the link doesn't work, type the words'haileybury college archives roll of honour'  into google and you should find it.

Our great writer Rudyard Kipling was there too.

http://davidgibbins.com/journal/2019/6/6/rudyard-kipling-the-gordon-brothers-and-united-services-college

5 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks Michelle and @FROGSMILE,

I had been down this route the other evening and drawn a blank.

I cannot see him listed on their roll of Honour.

There are other notable men there such as 'Major General Sir Thompson Capper, KCMG, CB, DSO'.

It was late so I may have missed 'J G Jennings'.

https://www.hailsoc.org/roll-of-honour

If the link doesn't work, type the words'haileybury college archives roll of honour'  into google and you should find it.

Our great writer Rudyard Kipling was there too.

http://davidgibbins.com/journal/2019/6/6/rudyard-kipling-the-gordon-brothers-and-united-services-college

If they have been archived, rather than just focusing on rolls of honour, perhaps try looking for sports teams photos Bob.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks Bob--another useful piece of information.

Would you like me to transcribe the letter I mentioned earlier?

Best, Robert

Hi All,

JGJ is listed in the 'United Services College Book of Remembrance' (according to the IWM site) but unfortunately the book does not include portraits.

It would appear that JGJ may have attended the USC whilst Rudyard Kipling was there, but I am not certain--I wonder where the USC records are held? Haileybury College?

Best, Robert

4 minutes ago, Old Owl said:

Hi All,

JGJ is listed in the 'United Services College Book of Remembrance' (according to the IWM site) but unfortunately the book does not include portraits.

It would appear that JGJ may have attended the USC whilst Rudyard Kipling was there, but I am not certain--I wonder where the USC records are held? Haileybury College?

Best, Robert

Yes, I posted with a link above. 

• Admin
6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

If they have been archived, rather than just focusing on rolls of honour, perhaps try looking for sports teams photos Bob.

I think from your link above FROGSMILE, it says 'The Archives department is currently shut whilst the school is operating remotely'

so unless I have missed something we may not be able to view the archives?

1 hour ago, Old Owl said:

Many thanks Bob--another useful piece of information.

Would you like me to transcribe the letter I mentioned earlier?

Best, Robert

Yes please post that here Robert, I am interested in seeing that.

I wonder if his family were reluctant to publish his photograph for some reason?

Anyhow,  I am having a great time looking into the battles, campaigns etc of the time. It is noticeable that his father is not mentioned in my online searches.

Another mention of a 'Lt Jennings' is here, page 616. Link;https://archive.org/details/memorialsoldhai00collgoog/page/616/mode/2up?q=Jennings

It is 1858, so a bit before his time I believe. Possibly his father? Edit her; Or someone totally unconnected with the man we seek?

Regards, Bob.

Edited by Bob Davies
to add a bit

Hi Bob,

It seems that the archives are closed? or maybe they have never updated their site following on from Covid?

I think that the mention circa 1858 is more than likely connected as the surname Melvill is mentioned which is his father's middle name--more work to do on that!

Here goes with the transcription:

Central Station Hotel, Newcastle on Tyne.

14/2/16

Dear Mrs Jennings,

Mrs Thuillier has asked if I can tell you anything about your husband. I am afraid I cannot tell you very much. I dare say you know that we went out in the same ship together and I saw a good deal of him on board and at Mitylene. The last time I saw him was on Lalla Baba about 11 o'clock of the morning on which we landed, when I took him a message from General Hill, telling him that his half battalion and mine were to support some other battalions in the attack on Chocolate Hill. I think that the only man alive who could give you any reliable later information is Captain (now Temporary Major) White of the 6/Battalion, whom I last saw just as he was wounded, but I believe he is now back with the 6/Battalion at Salonica.

About the cigarette case you gave him, he is certain to have had it on him, as I never saw him without it. I will write to Campbell (he was Sgt Major of the 6/Battalion) and the Quartermaster of the 7/Battalion now, and ask him if he can give you any reliable information; it is just possible that he may have seen your husband later than I did. Captain Luke is at home but he could tell you nothing as he was wounded very early in the day. I am afraid that there is no chance of your husband having been taken prisoner by the Turks, as they never advanced on us, not on Chocolate Hill or Green Hill, when once we had got there. We, none of us, got any home letters until we had been at Suvla about a fortnight, so you must not distress yourself with the idea that your husband was not getting his while others were more fortunate.

I came home in the Alauria? and had the cabin in which your husband went out in. I most sincerely wish that I could have told you anything which would have helped you,

I am,

Yours Sincerely,

Malcolm Lonsdale

Hope this is of interest,

Best, Robert

• Admin
22 hours ago, Old Owl said:

It seems that the archives are closed? or maybe they have never updated their site following on from Covid?

I think that the mention circa 1858 is more than likely connected as the surname Melvill is mentioned which is his father's middle name--more work to do on that!

Here goes with the transcription:

Thank you Robert,

that is very interesting. I will give that letter some thought.

I may be some time. I am still in the Tirah campaign 1879/8.

Regards, Bob.