Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

i saw a photo of a chap wearing a naval cap with a Royal Flying Corps Tally

arantxa

when did they wear this  ? was it connected to the RNAS

The RNAS didn’t exist until July 1914. From 1912 until 1914 naval aviation was conducted by the RFC’s Naval Wing. 

Yes that’s it 

I’m not that needy but I reckon that when someone answers your question you should acknowledge it.

Sorry I didn’t mean to come across as rude I apologise but when did they wear it ….so is it 1912. - 1914  and then after that they all wore caps or side caps …is that what your saying 

Gosh, you really do make this forum hard work.

Yes.

Nonsense.

Arantxa is not one to be put off easily! 

I suspect he is trying to identify this band that he acquired in a job lot that he shared on a previous thread?

1339756111_Screenshot_20230222-1645452.png.a0328cda6f351ffa77facbc7ef485d8b.png

On 19/02/2023 at 17:23, arantxa said:

when did they wear this  ? was it connected to the RNAS

Hi

There is information on this in Osprey's Men at Arms 341 'British Air Forces 1914-18 (1)' by Andrew and Peter Cormack, extracts below:

Image_20230223_0001.jpg.14abca79a1409a9cc146aed44fa52a2f.jpg

Image_20230223_0002.jpg.95373529b405e6c31f453e6c39a8c7b7.jpg

There is another image on page 20 of Brad King's 'Royal Naval Air Service 1912-1918' Hikoki.  The text with the image includes:

"The men are wearing cap tallies with the legend 'Royal Flying Corps'.  Only about 80 of these are thought to have been issued while the RNAS was the Naval Wing of the RFC."

Mike

Wow that is so interesting thank you….and yes Charlie I am as I’d not seen anything like it before and I don’t know if it’s original or not …sometimes I think maybe it’s better not to know ….a pig in mud and all that 

the persistence they teach you from An early age age at boarding school … ( and a lot of Kipling ) but then if I hadn’t been persistent I would never have got my Grandfather to tell me so much about the First World War and set off my passion like everyone else on here 

Mine must be a copy if only 80 were ever produced 

A site called warhats is producing them today.

"The reproduction NEW tally is in brand new condition. The reproduction Aged tally is made to look 110+ years old with lots of blemishes, fading, patina, dust and various marks, no two will be identical each one is unique! A beautiful aged tally for your collection! "

An interesting thread to read.

I was surprised, whilst reading the 1914 Star roll 5 years ago to come across ratings and other ranks in the RNAS who still had their original Admiralty official numbers, and that it was later joiners in 1914 that were allocated an official number with a "F" prefix upon enlistment. 

Any one else have a golden retriever that gets you up in the night ! The tally came with all the other bits and sone original rfc photos 

40489BEE-F5CE-4A63-8775-D685C6F96618.png

8C83F40A-E9F5-4EDB-8C52-EC70846E1468.png

Mine is top one in morning I will measure it but from memory the back looks machine stitched and I guess they were hand stitched the original ones and way fingers crossed you never know 

I quoted warhats as a modern example. The problem with these repros is that various attempts have probably been made since at least the 1970s, possibly by original manufacturers. That's true for all military badges.

In this case the first test is to see if the thread used for the backcloth or the letters contains modern plastic. If you can separate  a small piece of thread of each, try heating and see if it melts or singes. That should tell you. But for goodness sake don't destroy it! 

Rather like the old test for witches?

Edited by charlie962

Gosh I didn’t know that I will do that …I’m not quite sure where I’ve put it in the clutter of my office ( tidyness is the sign of a wasted youth I was once told ) I will also take a photo of the back ..when I originally looked at the back I though it looked modern but to be honest I really was not sure what I was looking at 

Thank you for the tip ..it’s a useful thing to know 

EA892461-7B5F-4BF0-B251-5101864ED1E7.jpeg

DD79AEB6-6290-4779-9683-AF2DA268FF23.jpeg

F4BEE0CA-8103-4459-9CC2-F846A88866B9.jpeg

819073CF-26FB-4954-8351-EF1F7DFE1A88.jpeg

I expect it’s a copy but if it’s redo the cakes are on me !!

95197C69-D357-418A-A8A1-6ED169B1878D.jpeg

I will do the fire test when I get home 

3 minutes ago, arantxa said:

will do the fire test when I get home 

Just a small piece of thread....

I disclaim all responsibility! Another pal might give you the safest method?

i saw a photo of a chap wearing a naval cap with a Royal Flying Corps Tally

I’m a bit confused, did you see this tally in a photo then or in the box of odds and sods you acquired?:unsure:

It came in my box of odds and sods and then I googled it and a picture came  up I didn’t think it was original so I didn’t put a picture up …because I thought no point people pointing out it wasn’t original …it was something I had not seen or heard of before