Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting german regimental marking?

Rafal1971

A bayonet collector asked me what the german regimental marking F.B.S.TH.59 stands for (I don't have photos). All signs of one size.The designation comes from IWW 84/98 manufacturer Gerb. Harktopf from 1916. The bayonet was not oxidized.

I have my opinion, but I wanted to know your opinion. Maybe someone has a bayonet marked like that.

Best regards Rafal

This could be real ,anyway TH should be Th. normally, so the unit photo would be here good, by non lower case h used in war, could be this for Thorn, also now Torun in Poland.

I was thinking Festung Baterie Schule/Stammkompanie Thorn, but aviation can be too :-)

Festung Battery School would be probably not real, more real would be Festungs Artillerie Schule. Question is what for S84/98nA it is, with sawback? not detailed description here.

Plain 84/98. It isn't non-commissioned officer with saw.

Besides, Gebruder Hartkopf did not produce bayonets with saws (Bruce Karem 2004).

16 hours ago, bert.f said:

Flieger-Beobachter-Schule .Thorn ,weapon nr 59

I believe this is 100% correct for this marking. I have personally never heard of many Flieger units but some basic research turns up several hits amongst the wartime Feldpostkarten collections. See this one shown below from 1917 ...

Cheers, SS 

IMG_20230218_223155.jpg.38493a67e86913de2517d34238c4f2ea.jpg

Questionable is the assigning automatically a sawbacked version to NCOs, this was probably not a rule. Anyway when the pictures would be avialable, it would be nice to see more details about unit and bayonet marking.

I'll post a pictures when I can,

Thanks all for posting

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2023 at 20:41, AndyBsk said:

Questionable is the assigning automatically a sawbacked version to NCOs, this was probably not a rule. Anyway when the pictures would be avialable, it would be nice to see more details about unit and bayonet marking.

True, but that 6% or so specification for sawbacks does neatly correlate approximately with the number of NCO's in a regular unit.

Juian