Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help! trying to locate Family WW1 Medals!.

Khloe

Dear The Great War Forum.

I Have Been asking around places where I can try to find help in locating some of my relative's medals. And well I was advised to post here.
I know that none of these medals are in my family's possession and I have a relative who searched for them in the early 90s but to no avail.
I have 3 relatives who fought and died in the first world war.  Because they passed away I also believe their family would have received a death plaque/Death penny as well but please correct me if I am wrong.  I have 2 of their medal cards

P.S (when I say star medal its because I don't know if its a 1914-15 star or just a mons star)

Here are their details

Private Horace Silverton Sharman. Suffolk Regiment,  reg number: 18119.   Who died on the 3rd of July 1916 in the battle of the Somme.  He was entitled to a Victory Medal, a British war medal, and a Star medal. 

Private Percy Selby Redgrave Maynard. Hampshire Regiment, reg number: 8390.  Who Fought in Gallipoli and died on the 28th of April 1915. He was entitled to a Victory Medal, a British war medal, and a Star medal,

(was not a family member but was Private Sharman's Neighbour) Private George Ranns, Suffolk Regiment, Reg number: 13801. Who died in the battle of the Somme alongside Horace on the 3rd of July 1916. I do not have their medal card but by assumption, but I am assuming they were awarded the same medals Horace was awarded.

(i don't know but I believe they are a family member as they have the same last name as my previously mentioned relative as well as live in the same village)      Private Walter Silverton Sharman. Cambridgeshire Regiment. Reg Number: 329168.  who I believe died(?) on the 22nd of March 1918(?) but as I don't have their medal card I cannot confirm this. I also don't know what medals they would have received.

If found I am willing to Pay what is requested for Horace's or Percy's medals but even finding George Ranns or Walter's would be absolutely amazing

thank you all for reading,

Khloe.

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

You can post on the British Medal Forum if you haven't yet..
I believe there were other methods, but I cannot recall them presently.

Zidane.

Edited by tankengine888

Hi

Yes George Ranns has the trio and Walter had the last two medals.

Even searching ebay etc may find something.

Try googling their name and service details also.

regards

Robert

• Admin

Also Facebook marketplace. You can also put an  alert  on Ancestry on the relevant medal index card. 

Private Horace Silverton Sharman. MIC shows Victory, BWM & 14-15 Star, #18119.

Private Percy Selby Redgrave Maynard. MIC shows Victory, BWM & 14-15 Star, #8390.

Soldiers Died has the following which I suspect you already have.

Born Sandhurst, Berks
Enlisted Winchester
Place of Residence Crowthorne, Berks

Private George Ranns. A bit tricky this man. His MIC does show 13801 but it looks like 13807 and my source transcribes as the latter number. MIC shows Victory, BWM & 14-15 Star. Same date of death as Horace but different battalion and date of entry shown.

Private Walter Silverton Sharman. MIC shows Victory and BWM and an earlier number of 7965. My source transcribes this as 7365 & 7865 which is not helpful! Original card is damaged over the 2nd digit.

I'm not sure exactly how the medals would be impressed but that seems crucial if trying to locate them. Walter's should be to 7965 (I think).

TEW

41 minutes ago, TEW said:

George Ranns. A bit tricky this man. His MIC does show 13801 but it looks like 13807 and my source transcribes as the latter number. 

Yes  Medal Roll (typed  not handwritten) states 13801.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Dear Everyone.

Wow i did not belive my post would recive this much attention!

I would love to Just say Thank you all so so much for helping me in to locate the medals.

I am going to use the advice and will repost in the medals forum aswell as visit the suffolk regiment museam.

thank you all so so much.

You could do no better than having a look on the British Medal Forum, as tankengine wisely suggested. 

It has a “Seeking Family Medals” section and, as here, many friendly and helpful experts who would also be happy to answer any queries you may have about the medals you’re looking for. 

You just never know if one of the members there may even have these medal groups, or just one of the medals, in their collection. The site also has a comprehensive list of medal dealers and auction houses, which you may find useful.

You may not be aware of Medal Tracker but, if not, here are some links which might also help (these are courtesy of a member on the BMF):

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker

It is possible to put a notification on Medal Tracker to advise that you are searching for the medals:

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker/submission

There is also this website:

https://www.britisharmyancestors.co.uk/find-a-medal-medals-sought/

It is also possible to set up an auto search for a surname on Ebay, The Saleroom and Easy Live Auction:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-alerts

https://www.easyliveauction.com

I have no connection to, nor business interest in, any of the above websites.

Good luck (I found my great uncle’s Victory Medal on Ebay just last year, so it is possible) :D

Martin

Edited by MartyG

Khloe

I presume you are over the East of the country. where possible, have a look for militaria fairs in your area. I am off to one at Yate , South Gloucestershire on Sunday and will endeavour to have a look.

Alternatively, as I have found out recently, there are pages on Facebook concerned with medal collecting. Ive seen a few wanted ads on there and tempted to add a few of my own. BUT, the problem with FB is as soon as its posted its history and drops down the pages when the next item is listed.