Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clues to previous Service

AD1565

Hi,

I'm searching some information regarding a Royal Navy rating. His name is Emmanuele Borg, which is quite common here in Malta. I have his naval service records, plus his ASC records. Unfortunately his ASC records were badly burnt and cannot figure out his regimental number!! Would any information (image attached) on his Navy service record lead to any conclusion??

Thanks in advance.

Vincent

L.14935 E.Borg, P.O. Std 1 copy.jpg

There are 4  Medal Index Cards for men named Emmanuele BORG serving in the A.S.C/R.A.S.C.  2 of them have 2 numbers, this is because they re-enlisted after being discharged. Your Emmanuele was discharged in March 1920. This means that his numbers are M/374339 & EMT/46642, since the other Emmanuele re-enlisted in March 1919. 

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Regards,

Alf McM

The extract from his naval service sheet says that he can count 1 year and 345 days of his earlier army service towards the award of his first Good Conduct Badge (granted 5.3.26). Traced medal indicates that he received his LS&GC medal 9.5.38. 

MB

Thank you both for your time and replies.

MB you're spot-on as I have his Navy LS&GC medal and roll, but couldn't figure out his previous service. I do appreciate your clarification.

Alf, I have his discharge on the 2nd April 1920, however I stand to be corrected. Would your theory still be valid if so? Presently I'm not subscribed to Ancestry but will do when I have some time to go through my medals and will take a look at the link you've posted. Thank you once again, you've been very helpful.

Regards,

Vincent

10 hours ago, alf mcm said:

There are 4  Medal Index Cards for men named Emmanuele BORG serving in the A.S.C/R.A.S.C.  2 of them have 2 numbers, this is because they re-enlisted after being discharged. Your Emmanuele was discharged in March 1920. This means that his numbers are M/374339 & EMT/46642, since the other Emmanuele re-enlisted in March 1919. 

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf.

Just been through the RLC Digital Archives and checked both men with EMT numbers and unfortunately none match, as one hailed from Sliema and the other Hamrun, while the man i'm searching resided in Senglea, plus his father's name was Pietro Battista! Alas the search goes on, but now I could put these two aside for now.

Thanks,

Vincent