Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Walter Bullock 88439 Royal Fusiliers

PaulC78

Pte Frank Walter Bullock 88439 Royal Fusiliers, he has an SER entry stating "death assumed 7.9.1918" and a similar note on the medal roll, however no DC appears to have been issued. Effects were paid to his mother, Lilian C, while the pension cards name his dependant as "mother" (actually grandmother) Mary Ann Bullock of 33 Penton Street, Pentonville Road, N1. The two pension cards I've found do not record his death, and he is not listed on CWGC.

Born on 2 Jan 1900, he was the son of Walter Charles and Lilian Cecilia Bullock, although the 1911 Census shows Frank living with his grandmother rather than his parents. Walter also served during WW1 and DOW on 17 Jun 1916, he is listed on CWGC: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/434353/walter-charles-bullock/

The only additional info I can find comes from Walter's service record, where the statement of relatives (dated 30 Jul 1919) notes that Frank was "missing in action":

miuk1914f_127637-00720.jpg.740d9609ce82326078e4c85e32699730.jpg

IFCP turned this one down a year or two ago on the grounds of insufficient evidence. I was wondering if anyone else can add anything that might help this case along?

13 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

no DC appears to have been issued.

GRO do often offer overseas DC taken from a Register of military deaths https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp = Do I take it that a DC has previously actively been sought and not found?

Frank was "missing in action":

What ToW?  What place?  What battalion?

IFCP turned this one down a year or two ago on the grounds of insufficient evidence.

Obviously a DC would likely be helpful but SR, Medal Roll, SER and MoP records available = Surely CWGC/JCCC should make that decision to reject - or to commemorate. ???

M

6 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Do I take it that a DC has previously actively been sought and not found?

Checked on FMP but not found.

What ToW?  What place?  What battalion?

FMP have a transcribed record from the British Red Cross & Order Of St John Enquiry List indicating that he was part of the BEF. Battalion details from the medal roll are all I have:

41629_611411_5544-00228.jpg.1ad0f2dbd7582b85f85928dfd0745cd1.jpg

Obviously a DC would likely be helpful but SR, Medal Roll, SER and MoP records available

The service record is for his father, not for Frank himself, so the extract I posted above is the only useful bit. The two pension cards only record service details, NoK and address, but do not state date or cause of death, so I'm not sure helpful they are.

Surely CWGC/JCCC should make that decision to reject - or to commemorate. ???

Indeed, and I'll submit this case as is is if need be, but I was hoping there might be something else out there to add to it?

1 hour ago, PaulC78 said:

Checked on FMP but not found.

Not a subject I have much investigated - O'seas DC - but do FMP have them all?

FMP have a transcribed record from the British Red Cross & Order Of St John Enquiry List indicating that he was part of the BEF.

At least BEF then

The service record is for his father, not for Frank himself, so the extract I posted above is the only useful bit. The two pension cards only record service details, NoK and address, but do not state date or cause of death, so I'm not sure helpful they are.

Always handy to have whatever you can - even if it is off his father's SR

Yes, it's a great shame the pension cards are so brief so really only indicating a claim - and that the claims for father and son/grandson are not linked :(  I guess the indication that Frank's/Mary Ann's claim is marked on both cards with her deceased/deceased 30.7.21 is indicative that something must have been going on meantime at the MoP.

= I do know that it costs quite a bit more to get a o'seas DC search from GRO but that might be a more comprehensive check [certainly the cheque! :D £14 :angry:] = that would be so helpful.

Good luck

M

Edited by Matlock1418
deceased/deceased