Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry Viggers. 736. 1st Battalion Welsh Guards. Help with photograph restoration please.

GWF1967

I have a very damaged photograph of William Henry Viggers, B.1892 Cardiff.

He served as Private: 736, with the 1st Battalion, Welsh Guards and was KIA on 1/7/1916.  He was one of three sons of George + Martha Viggers of 59, Cecil Street, Roath, Cardiff to be killed.

Edward John, Pte. 10422 - R.A.M.C. died 10/10/1917,  and Ernest George, 17848 - 15th Grenadier Guards, died 258/1918.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to digitally repair/improve the image, and would like to appeal for the help of anyone with more experience who would be willing to retouch it for me please.  

Viggers. Welsh Guards (2).jpg

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, richards13 said:

This may be of interest:

image.png.674a928394f21bc715cd802d857cced6.png

It certainly is; many thanks indeed. 

• Admin

If you have not found anyone yet to restore your photograph this may be of interest too. Please read to bottom of the thread as Stephen is now offering a professional service. 

1stattempt.jpg.59386a9ff0f5ad0a1f136267c2c1b44c.jpg

I had a go, slight improvement, although I am sure a professional restorer will be able to do better

Ray

4 hours ago, RaySearching said:

1stattempt.jpg.59386a9ff0f5ad0a1f136267c2c1b44c.jpg

I had a go, slight improvement, although I am sure a professional restorer will be able to do better

Ray

Thanks Ray,

It's certainly better than my attempt.

7 hours ago, kenf48 said:

If you have not found anyone yet to restore your photograph this may be of interest too. Please read to bottom of the thread as Stephen is now offering a professional service. 

Thank you for the link Ken.

• 10 months later...
On 13/02/2023 at 20:59, GWF1967 said:

I have a very damaged photograph of William Henry Viggers, B.1892 Cardiff.

He served as Private: 736, with the 1st Battalion, Welsh Guards and was KIA on 1/7/1916.  He was one of three sons of George + Martha Viggers of 59, Cecil Street, Roath, Cardiff to be killed.

Edward John, Pte. 10422 - R.A.M.C. died 10/10/1917,  and Ernest George, 17848 - 15th Grenadier Guards, died 258/1918.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to digitally repair/improve the image, and would like to appeal for the help of anyone with more experience who would be willing to retouch it for me please.  

Viggers. Welsh Guards (2).jpg

Hello,

I am a relative of this gentleman and made an account specifically to reply to this post! 

I have been researching the VIggers Family Tree for a number of years, (have an extensive, and detailed family tree) and this fellow was my great grandfathers cousin. His memorial (along with his brothers) are still presenting in St Germans Church in Cardiff, not far from Cecil Street. Feel free to send me a personal message

Kind Regards

Aaron 23

• Admin
3 minutes ago, AaronJayThomas said:

Hello,

I am a relative of this gentleman and made an account specifically to reply to this post! 

I have been researching the VIggers Family Tree for a number of years, (have an extensive, and detailed family tree) and this fellow was my great grandfathers cousin. His memorial (along with his brothers) are still presenting in St Germans Church in Cardiff, not far from Cecil Street. Feel free to send me a personal message

Kind Regards

Aaron 23

Welcome to the GWF your post has been edited and approved. Not a good idea to put personal information on an open forum.  You can use the forum personal message system click on their name and open the dialog box ‘Message’