Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A sad end

thedawnpatrol

I have this Trio to Private John Edward Jones of the Cheshire Regiment who was sadly killed on the Somme, 4th August 1916.

what is sad is that his name has been mostly removed from the medals, stamped out on the star and mostly filled off on the pair, thankfully there is just enough to see who this brave chap was and be able to remember him.

i cant help but wonder why the family would do this to one of thier loved ones ?

56D485AE-BE04-4A37-A716-9161959B87BF.jpeg

43CC5B9B-0891-44CF-AC28-A40FF64019E9.jpeg

410EBB46-F723-468F-88E4-F3A4162650ED.jpeg

9B58F93D-C3FF-4AFF-AEFA-00C30D5DA9AC.jpeg

I am unable to tell you when or who this attempted erasure of Jones' medals was done @thedawnpatrolbut it is fortunate that you have been able to ID him from his number & details you have been able to make out, to bring him "back to life" again.

I have seen a lot of erased medasl in over 55 yrs of collecting but never have I seen a star puched out like Jones' has. It appears to have been done with a narrow blade flat head screwdriver.

Have to kind of wonder if his Memorial Plaque was similarly defaced.

This is sometimes done to obscure the provenance of stolen medals (no inference that this is the case here!) - I have an MSM which has the rim almost completely filed away (but not well enough to completely disguise the recipient) and the suspender damaged. It was subsequently identified as being stolen and offered back to the person it was stolen from.

34 minutes ago, PhilB said:

It certainly gives the medals character! I can find no action for the 6th Cheshire on 4/8/16.

I guess he could have died from wounds received days before….

4 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

I guess he could have died from wounds received days before….

5 hours ago, PhilB said:

It certainly gives the medals character! I can find no action for the 6th Cheshire on 4/8/16.

His medal rolls and soldiers effects shows that he was attached to 5th Battalion Royal Lancaster Regiment and soldiers died states he died of wounds 

the battalion was at Wellington Redoubt and looks like he could have died as a result of being wounded by shell fire

Thank you all, thats really intersting, im visiting the Somme in April and i will certainly pay my respects at his graveside.