Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Sharples KS0314

stillicho

Hello

Another Naval ancestor I am tracing up. This is far more ineligible than the previous one (James Kennedy). If it is any help, the ancestry.com transcription has,

21 Mar 1918 (1st service date) Victory (1st ship) 1 Mar 1919 (last service date) Gunner (last ship)

But I honestly cannot make out any of the ship line below Victory - I can barely make out anything!

Thank you all kindly in advance.

2130908652_Jamessharples.jpg.e9a5b419caf71a7ad867d06bb37f9472.jpg

Yous have posted the previous record for K.50313. K.50314 is the second record on that page. It reads:-

VICTORY - 21 Mar 1918 - 24 Jan 1919

GUNNER (COTSWOLD) 25 Jan 1919 - 1 Mar 1919 - Discharged Shore Demob.

His sea time was served in the minesweeper HMS COTSWOLD. She was based at Granton on the Firth of Forth as part of the 3rd Minesweeper Flotilla and her crew were borne on the books of HMS GUNNER, the Granton base.

The Kew 

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Yous have posted the previous record for K.50313. K.50314 is the second record on that page. It reads:-

VICTORY - 21 Mar 1918 - 24 Jan 1919

GUNNER (COTSWOLD) 25 Jan 1919 - 1 Mar 1919 - Discharged Shore Demob.

His sea time was served in the minesweeper HMS COTSWOLD. She was based at Granton on the Firth of Forth as part of the 3rd Minesweeper Flotilla and her crew were borne on the books of HMS GUNNER, the Granton base.

The Kew 

Thank you very much. Would you say Victory refers to the Portsmouth shore establishment (same as James Kennedy's)? It is interesting how his role on a minesweeper was post-war, They kept a heavy military establishment still.

Yes, VICTORY would be for time spent in RN Barracks, Portsmouth, during his training as a stoker.

The post-war mine clearance work at sea was a huge undertaking. He saw the first month of that two-year task.

4 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Yes, VICTORY would be for time spent in RN Barracks, Portsmouth, during his training as a stoker.

The post-war mine clearance work at sea was a huge undertaking. He saw the first month of that two-year task.

Of course of course. Getting rid of the mines would have taken years.  Thank you ever so much.

Edited by stillicho