Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment?

thedawnpatrol

Can some please enlighten me as to which regiments these two officers belong…..

thank you

0E1A035C-CEAD-4272-9E6A-DED1DEF9C4DF.jpeg

3EB33F0E-6185-4198-9C7C-F6D1E2FED06E.jpeg

2D81F5B2-AF75-4DB4-9AC1-0870FFB56D51.jpeg

3A8E0381-1B2F-4EB2-A970-A2F904886ADC.jpeg

22 minutes ago, thedawnpatrol said:

Can some please enlighten me as to which regiments these two officers belong…..

thank you

0E1A035C-CEAD-4272-9E6A-DED1DEF9C4DF.jpeg

3EB33F0E-6185-4198-9C7C-F6D1E2FED06E.jpeg

Top man is Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment). 

A call for @FROGSMILE and @CorporalPunishment should have the bottom badge identified for you soon. 

Edited by GWF1967

• Admin

Top two photos, Green Howards (Alexandra Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment)

Other two possibly 5th Dragon Guards or 7th Hussars. 

32 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Top two photos, Green Howards (Alexandra Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment)

Other two possibly 5th Dragon Guards or 7th Hussars. 

Agreed.  Cavalry subaltern at bottom, hence whip, despite junior rank.  He’s very young I think.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all, as always such a shame they will remain nameless.

regards as always

Julian

4 hours ago, max7474 said:

I think 7th Hussars as the badge is larger than the 5th DG one.

The two circular badges for those regiments appear to have been around the same size, but interestingly it seems that during WW1 the officers of the 5th Dragoon Guards wore an angular cypher, retaining the circular pattern for collars.  The 7th Queen’s Own Hussars did favour the circular badge, but I’ve not been able to find an image of an officer with one in wear.  Squinting at the photo for some time it looks almost oval to me now, and rather smoother than either 5th or 7th insignia, so it remains something of a puzzle.  At least we can now rule out the 5th.

NB.  It also seems significant that no collar badges are worn in subject image.

B2094388-847E-45BE-B3BD-9B9BF7F73EC7.jpeg

93CECEB5-05B0-4613-8C08-8997496873FF.jpeg

F4C6CEF3-C6D8-4CC6-842C-259BC674A780.jpeg

FFBB6491-A6F4-447D-A2D7-3139A0387A08.jpeg

8FE9624B-1303-464E-8E3E-60DB4D9DDE57.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Naive question, but what medal ribbon is the Green Howards officer wearing?

Just wondering if that might narrow down the possibilities of who he was.

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin

Could it be QSA? 

Not sure, but if it is then (roughly speaking), looking at someone born before 1884, (so 18 in 1902), who would appear not to have been a territorial, (no "T" over collar badge), and even if taken in late 1918, (so before ribbons for the British War Medal or Victory Medal authorised, but no entitlement to 1914 Star or 1914/15 Star), the youngest he would be is 36. The wildcard factor would be if he was home service only.

We don't know his rank, so can't rule out he was Regular Army right the way through - although absence of a medal ribbon for the Kings South Africa Medal or either of the Stars might argue against that. Buggins turn would most likely have made him a Captain by August 1914 in the Regular Army. Of course we don't know if he was serving with the Yorkshire Regiment or even that he was commissioned at the time of the Second Anglo-Boer War.

Cheers,
Peter

I think the bottom photo shows a 2/Lt. of the Household Battalion. A good portion of the badge is hidden behind the chin strap.      Pete.

26 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think the bottom photo shows a 2/Lt. of the Household Battalion. A good portion of the badge is hidden behind the chin strap.      Pete.

A good thought Pete, and the smoothness of the badge made me muse about it around the time I made that last post.  I thought the absence of collar badges chimed too.  What put me off was that he doesn’t appear to be wearing the plain patch breast pockets favoured by Guards.  I need to check what the Household Cavalry officers preferred in that regard.

Afternote:  see images, I think that it probably is Household Battalion, both badge and jacket style confirm.  Uppermost photo shows jacket of Household Cavalry regiments.

NB.  It should help us with a date too.  In August 1916, during and as a direct result of the disasters of the Somme battlefields, it was decided that the flood of recruits to The Household Cavalry would be diverted to infantry service. In September 1916, The Household Battalion formed at Hyde Park Barracks under the wing of the Reserve Regiment of 1st Life Guards. Officers came from The Life Guards, The Royal Horse Guards, the Foot Guards, and from regiments of the Line, 84 in all; the original battalion strength was 28 officers and 900 men. Yet, over the 14 months of the battalions existence, drafts of over 2000 men replaced casualties.

1B9F3CF0-11E9-46F7-AE15-D7B2749C5C48.jpeg

6B1957DF-612F-4992-BCA6-2B5715FD89BD.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 hours ago, Old Owl said:

RMC Sandhurst is a possibility?

I don’t think cadets received rank badges and Sam Browne until completion of training (formally receiving their commission), and he seems to be dressed regimentally rather than as a cadet.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Gosh, im glad this second image has kept some of you busy……..thanks again for taking the time, all very interesting