Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval. James Kennedy J73014

stillicho

Hello

Any help on this document will be appreciated. I think I have most of it but there are a few things.

I have,

Victory I (shore establishment, Portsmouth) 15? 6017 Ordinary Seaman 3 July 1917 - 6 November 1917

Leviathan 52nd 294 ordinary seaman 7 Nov 1917 -
                                            ?                  30 ? 1918 - 20 Feb 1919 Shore on ?

I also discovered that Leviathan, drake-class cruiser, was in Halifax on 6 November where she ''received 15 Band Ratings from ARLANZA''. Would this sound correct pertaining to James Kennedy's inclusion (I am not sure how the transit of seaman operated)? Here is the website with Leviathan's entire history: https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-05-HMS_Leviathan.htm

227789796_navaldoc.jpg.66e07827c646f138f8ecf0e665bf4a01.jpg

I understand the character and ability section. War gratuity paid perhaps? But I cannot read line above gratuity paid. 

1743354833_naval2.jpg.23987101dcb554f5cbcf1e4603ee9272.jpg

33 minutes ago, stillicho said:

30 ? 1918 - 20 Feb 1919 Shore on ?

This entry reads AB [able seaman} ; 3 Apr [I think]1918 ; 20 Feb 1919 ; Shore on Demob[ilisation].

He was borne on the books of HMS VICTORY until 6 November 1917 and was then borne on the books of HMS LEVIATHAN from 7 November 1917. This does not mean that he was physically present in those ships on those dates. It does not mean that his passage to Halifax started on 7 November nor does it state that he actually set foot in LEVIATHAN on 7 November. It is most unlikely that he was among the 15 Band Ratings but quite likely to have travelled to Halifax from UK in HMT OLYMPIC, arriving on 14 November. We cannot be certain as not all arrivals were recorded in LEVIATHAN's log.

I the latter scenario he could have been administratively transferred to LEVIATHAN from VICTORY on 7 November on which date he may already have been on passage in OLYMPIC.

Edited by horatio2

21 hours ago, stillicho said:

But I cannot read line above gratuity paid. 

it reads " TRACED WAR GRATUITY".

The entries in the "List" and "No," columns are his number in the Ship's Book - effectively his status and pay number. For VICTORY I he is List 15 (supernumeraries for disposal, taking passage, etc.). In LEVIATHAN he is List 5 (ship's complement/ship's company, Military branch (seamen in this case)). It looks like List 52 but there was no such list, so the 2 is probably a sub-division of List 5

Thanks everybody.

14 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

it reads " TRACED WAR GRATUITY".

The entries in the "List" and "No," columns are his number in the Ship's Book - effectively his status and pay number. For VICTORY I he is List 15 (supernumeraries for disposal, taking passage, etc.). In LEVIATHAN he is List 5 (ship's complement/ship's company, Military branch (seamen in this case)). It looks like List 52 but there was no such list, so the 2 is probably a sub-division of List 5

Thanks. Out of interest, do you have a full list of these categories (15 etc)? Just tried to pull it up online.

Naval records are very different to army records!