Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information of Sick Bay Staff abord the H.M.S Pembroke at Malta during The Great War as my Grandfather was abord

Sandra Lynch

Information of Sick Bay Staff abord the H.M.S Pembroke at Malta during The Great War as my Grandfather was aboard and his name was Francis O'Brien back row third from left needed so any advice would be Greatly Appreciated. Sandra

pembroke.JPG

Whence comes your connection to Malta? Your GF never served there. HMS PEMBROKE was the RN Barracks at Chatham and was not a sea-going ship. He did serve in HMS RAGLAN at the Dardanelles from June to October 1915.

His record at TNA   (free download)   -    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7045819

Edited by horatio2

On 10/02/2023 at 07:17, alf mcm said:

Sandra,

Welcome to the forum.

Francis' navy service record is available on Ancestry.  UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services, 1848-1939 - Ancestry.co.uk 

If you have any problems reading his record, post a query on the forum and our experts will help you.

Regards,

Alf McM

Good morning. 

Would it be possible to get a better copy of the photo. Its a great pic and all the names. Thanks.

Dom

Hopefully Sandra will return with a posting soon - it can sometimes be a bit daunting to new Forum members to engage freely.

I dare say that family stories concerning her GF and Malta were correct, as it’s highly likely that he visited the island whilst serving on HMS RAGLAN.

Like most RNASBR members, Francis was a long serving member of St. John’s Ambulance. The skills he learnt from both organisations were evidently put to good use some years later in 1941 when Dublin (North Strand) was inadvertently bombed by Luftwaffe aircraft. In the immediate aftermath of the bombing Francis rendered valuable first aid assistance to many casualties.

MB

Thanks for the Post and Yes Grandad was very active in St John all his life and as regards to the Bombing on the North Strand at Newcoming Bridge and Ossary Road he and his Family which included my Mother lived on Ossary Road and I as a Baby lived there for a short time until we moved to Clontarf so in fact he was in the Centre of the action and because of his History was deeply involved in the St John Brigade until his Passing R.I.P in 1964. Again THANK You for your Interest in My Grandad of Whom I was so close and with an Admiration for him and his Dedication to St John Brigade and Helping his Fellow Man! 

Regards Sandra

IMG_medals2.JPG

9 hours ago, Sandra Lynch said:

Thanks for the Post and Yes Grandad was very active in St John all his life and as regards to the Bombing on the North Strand at Newcoming Bridge and Ossary Road he and his Family which included my Mother lived on Ossary Road and I as a Baby lived there for a short time until we moved to Clontarf so in fact he was in the Centre of the action and because of his History was deeply involved in the St John Brigade until his Passing R.I.P in 1964. Again THANK You for your Interest in My Grandad of Whom I was so close and with an Admiration for him and his Dedication to St John Brigade and Helping his Fellow Man! 

Regards Sandra

IMG_medals2.JPG

What an excellent display !