Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sighting scope

Kappmeier

Hello I have a scope which I would like to get some info on with some sort of valuation as well. I believe it was passed down from my wife’s grandfather. The markings on the scope read Ryland &Sons ,Tel Sighting No 5(Mk2), London 1917 no 678. The work and brass tripod is marked Blunt & Wray 1916. Optics are good everything works . Thanks 

482A3460-17EF-4EB0-9432-47AB329FB124.jpeg

2BA4C442-9BD7-4F72-BE61-9641272E27B5.jpeg

44F331DF-953A-4248-8876-B7C230740DC5.jpeg

Your sighting scope was originally used on a piece of artillery (60 Pdr)…..see the thread below,

Edit, thread added discussing the tripod stands.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

As Davey pointed out, this scope was the direct fire scope for the 60-pr field gun. It has been modified by removing the open sights from the tube. The stand is the ordinary pattern used for "Signals and General Service Telescopes" except that the legs have been cut down with the end spikes refitted to the shorter legs.

This was most likely done after WW1 to make a spotting scope for use on a rifle range - you fire a shot, the target operator pulls the target down and pins an indicator disc in the hole and puts the target up again. You then look through the scope so you can adjust your sights correctly. You do this to correct the sights then you fire the competition serial.

What is it worth? how long is an elastic band ?  

Cheers

Ross

Thanks for your feedback , it’s all very interesting as I had no idea of just how complicated it would be to get the history of this article. So very interesting following this thread of information. Thanks again , Bob