Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfathers Medals - Query

JoeBirt

I have done some searching but am stuck.

My Grandfather , Albert J Birt, was in The RFA and awarded the MM for taking charge of a raid. However I cannot find out why he only has the MM, Victory and British Medals. I have his medal cards, but why does he not have reference to the Star.

Royal Field Artillery Corporal 4626
Royal Field Artillery Corporal 832003

I would also like to find out if his raid was every written up. And where I would find his records, date of enlistment etc

Thanks in anticipation

F71D531A-1B08-4C90-AD0E-9C34CA46462A.jpeg

8DF27D6D-A4A7-4D43-B737-BBFDD4B27553.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RussT said:

The answer to that is normally because he did not serve overseas before 1916.

Regards

Russ

Thank you. Were would I find his records 

• Admin

The majority of WW1 records were destroyed in WW2 via bombing, so it is unlikely that a soldier's record survived.

I've looked for your GF's record and it does not exist I'm afraid.

However, it might be possible to put some general timeline together by analysis of his service number etc.

Have a look at the LLT (top left corner) on how to research a soldier.

Russ

• Admin

One thing you can do is have a look at the War Diary in which he served and evidently earned his MM.

His unit was C Battery 306th (South Midland) Brigade RFA TF.

306th Brigade is commensurate with his TF service number of 832002 following the TF re-numbering in early 1917. Before that re-numbering, his number was 4626.

I'll see if I can find a link to the WD in TNA

Russ

Dear Russ and Chris,

Good work!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

8 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

The MM award was announced in the supplement to the London Gazette in February 1919 - link

Regards
Chris

Thank You. I tried to find that but was unsuccessful. My sister will be over the moon that it’s recorded. 

8 hours ago, RussT said:

A quick look at other records indicates that he would have enlisted in October 1915.

Regards

Russ

Russ

Thank you. This adds to the picture, so I would expect with that joining date he entered theatre some time 1916

8 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

The MM award was announced in the supplement to the London Gazette in February 1919 - link

Regards
Chris

Thank You. I tried to find that but was unsuccessful. My sister will be over the moon that it’s recorded. 

2 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

That London Gazette contained MM awards for the Battle of Amiens, August to early September 1918. 

Thank you. So that would be a start to track down in the war diaries. 

16 minutes ago, JoeBirt said:

Thank you. So that would be a start to track down in the war diaries. 

Yes, August 1918 on, but MMs for a major action are more likely to be listed in the Division or Corps war diaries.

You may see his battery or a likely action mentioned in the 306th WD.

That gazette gives the battery and brigade of each unit. There may be other 306th, 307th Bde men listed in it.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

5 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Yes, August 1918 on, but MMs for a major action are more likely to be listed in the Division or Corps war diaries.

Thank you. I’ll try to locate that.  We only have word of mouth - not even my grandmother told us. I found out from a distant relative in America. 

On 10/02/2023 at 09:17, Ivor Anderson said:

He won his MM with C battery of 306th Brigade, 61st Division.

image.png.d396e34a347b77a7d6c639bd04c885d6.png

His battery was heavily engaged in supporting an attack by 184th Infantry Brigade in late August 1918. Their battery came under shell fire on the 27th. WD from TNA:

184th Brigade was also part of 61st Division: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/184th_(2nd_South_Midland)_Brigade

image.png.a3a383a5f2a5926c45573906b56d1aa5.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

1 hour ago, Ivor Anderson said:

He won his MM with C battery of 306th Brigade, 61st Division.

image.png.d396e34a347b77a7d6c639bd04c885d6.png

His battery was heavily engaged in supporting an attack by 184th Infantry Brigade in late August 1918. Their battery came under shell fire on the 27th. WD from TNA:

184th Brigade was also part of 61st Division: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/184th_(2nd_South_Midland)_Brigade

Thank you so much for all of this. I am new at this and do not understand all terminology and abbreviations. 
My sisters will be so pleased when I show them all of this. 

53 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

His battery were West of Merville - at 'WOAD Farm' on the 29th August 1918. 184th Infantry Brigade had attacked 'OBUS COTTAGE' and were West of Estaires by 30th Aug.

June 1918 Trench map from: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101723830

WOAD Fm.png

Thank you. This is amazing. I will visit the area NS time I am in France. 

307th Bde RFA were also with 61st Div artillery: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355314

I cannot see any other medal awards to either 306th or 307th Bdes RFA in 1918, but two officers of 307th were mentioned in despatches in Dec 1918.

This makes me wonder if your grandfather was a 'runner' attached to Division/Brigade HQ, taking messages to and from the gun batteries under fire.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Nice work Ivor. 
The only thing I have to add is a report in the Gloucestershire Echo 24 Oct 1919
City Police Court
Friday
For leaving a horse and cart unattended Albert J Birt, Laurel farm, Robinswood Hill, was on the evidence of P C Pinnions, let off on payment of costs, defendant having served in the war and won the Military Medal.