Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass Salt Container from HM Factory Gretna 1916.

Hagis

Wondered if anyone had seen one of these before or something similar? On the upright it has engraved "Property of Munitions Factory Dornock 1916" and on the lid "On War Service" and the WD mark. Assume that it would have been hung up in one of the canteens.

Thanks in advance.

P2093393.JPG

P2093394.JPG

Completely and utterly fake, at least as regards the modern machine engraving that has been added to a relatively valueless item in an attempt to fool the unwary into thinking it is something rare and desirable. Caveat emptor! 

Thanks for your reply but I believe the engraving to be original. It came from a house clearance which included several brass trench art. Machine engraving has been around for some time so I don't see how you consider it to be modern with my poor quality photographs.

Any evidence that other munitions factory items were thus marked at the time?

I agree that the typeface font looks far too modern to me, could it perhaps be ‘IBM Courier’? (if so then mid-fifties at the very earliest).

In any case, ‘On War Service’ is a phrase that signifies the status of an individual (usually seen worn on a badge that a person dressed in civilian attire would wear).  It’s not something that would normaly be engraved (or laser-printed) on an object to denote government ownership.

MB

4 hours ago, Hagis said:

Thanks for your reply but I believe the engraving to be original. It came from a house clearance which included several brass trench art. Machine engraving has been around for some time so I don't see how you consider it to be modern with my poor quality photographs.

Strange, given that exact example sold on Ebay only 2 months ago... :thumbsup: Still as fake then as it is now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-MUNITIONS-DORNOCK-FACTORY-BRASS-HANGING-SALT-HOLDER-1916-/165808911082?mkcid=16&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=oARxNQP5R3W&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=UuL7FGmxRGS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY&fbclid=IwAR0LLqK7Z6IVtax_9vZZPygEVQoiLYJ1ng_VTeICDXHdGMgh8XCDtSfHh0w&nma=true&si=cbzvxJZj44A9QnTIqWAhB7kA4lY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

image.png.96863f2297255940f4d353e028c88a11.png

Wasn’t the Cordite factory called ‘HM Factory, Gretna’ rather than ‘Munitions factory Dornock?’

I remain unconvinced about the additional writing, and I agree with Andrew that it seems to be gilding the Lilly somewhat - anyway, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Daresay there will be yet another one appearing for sale on Ebay shortly!

MB

Point taken about the typeface. I however have several WW1 MoM notices that have very similar fonts. Atteched herewith. Note the words that begin "Under the Defence of....". I think that they liked to mix things up a bit.

P2103398.JPG

P2103395.JPG