Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wire Brush Treatment

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

I have been going through my great grandfather's medical reports concerning his time in hospital in 1916/17 and 1919 when he was suffering severe shell-shock.

There is one phrase that has me stumped. It refers to him being given the 'wire brush treatment'.

Now, I know a few ways of getting suspects to talk but this one has got me! What on earth does it mean, any ideas?

Lee

Wire Brush Treatment was Electric Shock Treatment.

Dave

Guest Hill 60

Dave - Thank you for that. Poor soul, he really did suffer. Buried 4 times by shellfire in one day, unconcious for 4 days and dying in '67 whilst senile :(.

I'm not up on this sort of treatment. I suppose that the 'wire brushes' were the connections?

Isn't that what Pat Barker describes in his trilogy: Regeneration, The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road. At Craiglockhart officers ravaged by their experiences in trench warfare are getting all kinds of treatment, even the "wire brush"- e.g. someone who lost his speech and regained it through this brutal treatment.

Regards

Daniel

Guest Hill 60
At Craiglockhart officers ravaged by their experiences in trench warfare are getting all kinds of treatment, even the "wire brush"- e.g. someone who lost his speech and regained it through this brutal treatment.

Daniel - The more I hear the worst it sounds!

My nan says that her father was a great man who had a good sense of humour but could really 'lose it' if startled by sudden loud noises.

I wish I'd met him, he died in 1967 just 7 months after I was born.

My father remembers a man from his childhood in Bedford. He appeared quite normal until a sudden noise startled him.

He would stop dead and scream at the top of his voice.

Then continue on his way as if nothing had happened. This as a result of experiences 20 odd years before.

John.

Isn't that what Pat Barker describes in his trilogy: Regeneration, The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road. At Craiglockhart officers ravaged by their experiences in trench warfare are getting all kinds of treatment, even the "wire brush"- e.g. someone who lost his speech and regained it through this brutal treatment.

Regards

Daniel

Garde Grenadier; Pat Barker is a lady, not a chap. I don't think you would find electirc-shock treatment at Craiglockhart. Pitt-Rivers, the MO I/C, was an early pyscho-therapist of the Jungian (I think) school. His treatment was to let his patients talk through the experiences which had traumatised them and to help them come to terms with them. Electric-shock treatment was used in some London hospitals and they are described in the PB trilogy. Pitt-Rivers had no time for it and it is mentioned in the trilogy as a very brutal contrast to his approach.

Lee

This type of treatment was widely used at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley

for soldiers who had been 'diagnosed' as NYKN - Not Yet Known Nervous which is what shellshock affects were often labelled.

Dave

Guest Hill 60

Dave - Cheers mate. I don't think he was there, he seemed to be at Queen Mary's Royal Navy Hospital in Southend before moving onto others including Granville Canadian Special Hospital (where's that?).

Lee

The Granville Hospital was at Ramsgate, Kent from 15 Nov 15 to 18 Oct 17 when it transferred to Buxton, Derbyshire

Queen Mary's Hospital was a temporary War Hospital

see http://www.southend.gov.uk/content.asp?content=1172

Dave

Regards

Daniel

Garde Grenadier; Pat Barker is a lady, not a chap. I don't think you would find electirc-shock treatment at Craiglockhart. Pitt-Rivers, the MO I/C, was an early pyscho-therapist of the Jungian (I think) school. His treatment was to let his patients talk through the experiences which had traumatised them and to help them come to terms with them. Electric-shock treatment was used in some London hospitals and they are described in the PB trilogy. Pitt-Rivers had no time for it and it is mentioned in the trilogy as a very brutal contrast to his approach.

Thanks for putting me right, Hedley. It just sprang to my mind, that Pat Barker mentioned this treatment in HER book, not that the psycho-therapist Pitt-Rivers used it. Nonetheless, it sounded dreadful.

Daniel

Guest Hill 60
The Granville Hospital was at Ramsgate, Kent from 15 Nov 15 to 18 Oct 17 when it transferred to Buxton, Derbyshire

Dave - The paperwork for Granville Hospital is date stamped 1919. I know that my nan was born in Ramsgate and that Samuel died in Margate.

He had been discharged from the CEF in 1917 and had attended the Granville in 1919 after the symptoms of the shellshock didn't go away.

Nonetheless, it sounded dreadful.

If you can see the film 'Regeneration' then the closing scenes include a re-enactment of the electric shock treatment. It doesn't look too clever

Yes ECT is still in use today. It is still a therapy which still has pro and anti factions.

I frequently hear testimony of psychiatrists. For severe intractable depression, i.e. that which is quite disabling, may lead to death, resistant to drug treatment with different types and doses tried it's the treatment of choice after largely falling out of favor previously. I have a good friend and WFA member, all teatments have failed for her poor thing.