Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Supply / Manufacturing units in Ireland

WozFromOz

According to family knowledge, my grandfather from Brighton served for the British army in Ireland during WW1. He was a boot maker before the war and the photo of him (second from left) shows him and another man holding boots. Was there a boot manufacturing station in Ireland?

He has a very common name - John Henry Jones. I've not found any record of his war service even allowing for the loss of many records.

Jones JH Ireland WW1 edited.jpg

I expect you have this.

My bold letters.

Thanks to FindMyPast:

1911 Census.

Transcript of John Henry Jones' record
First name(s) John Henry
Last name Jones
Registration district Brighton
Registration district number 79
Birth year 1892
Sub-district West Brighton
Age 19
Sub-district number 2
Age as transcribed 19
Enumeration district number 3
Relationship to head Son
Archive series RG14
Marital status Single
Piece number 5123
Occupation Boot repairir
Schedule 380
Birth place Sussex Brighton
Census reference RG14PN5123 RG78PN227 RD79 SD2 ED3 SN380
Birth place as transcribed Sussex Brighton
RG 78 piece number 227
Full address 70 Hartington Road Brighton, Brighton, Sussex.
Other household member first name(s) Eliza, Emily, John, Louisa, Richard
Address 70 Hartington Road Brighton
Other household member last name Jones
House number 70
Record set 1911 Census For England & Wales
Street Hartington Road
Category Census, land & surveys
Parish Brighton
Subcategory Census
County Sussex
Collections from Great Britain, England
© Findmypast

Edited by Kath

Thank you very much Kath. Yes I do have this info.

FYI His sister Eliza and brother Richard migrated to Perth, Australia in 1912. Richard served for the Australian Imperial Force, and died near Ypres, 1917. The rest of the family, except Emily, migrated in 1924. I was hoping to get any info on John's (my grandfather) service.

Do you know what Regiment/Corps that your grandfathers served in?

Unfortunately I know nothing about his WW1 service. He died before my father was 2 years old and little info seems to have survived the generations. Just now zooming on his uniform I think I can see the word SUSSEX and just maybe the letters T Y ??

Jones, John Henry-Uniform.jpg

Jones, John Henry-Uniform epaulette.jpg

No doubt someone will be along shortly who knows, but the three-tier T-Y-SUSSEX would suggest the Sussex Yeomanry (one of the men in the photo, and possibly your grandfather too, seems to be wearing jodphurs). Haven't been able to confirm the shoulder title from Google, though, needs someone with genuine knowledge. The LLT says 2/1st Sussex Yeomanry were in Ireland from April 1918. Here's a similar style Yeomanry shoulder title for comparison:

Lockdales Auctioneers | Lockdales, Coins & Militaria, Auction #181 | Lot  1319

Thank you so much Pat. A good step forward in my puzzle.

Checking Ancestry, the only record I can find for his name in Sussex regiment is the attachment.

I'm still new to researching his war records. Does this look right? Was it normal to have changed units that many times?

What is the pencilled From / To entry?

Jones JF Medal Roll.jpg

Well, that strongly suggests he didn't serve in a theatre of war with the Sussex Yeomanry (it's an extract from the records of those who received the British War and Victory Medals, which were awarded for service in a theatre of war). This listing of units would normally mean he served in a theatre of war with all of those battalions; 17th Royal Sussex were the battalion he was with at the end of the war, or when he became non-effectual if that was before 11/11/18. As Ireland was counted as Home service, it doesn't mean he didn't serve there with another unit, which would not be mentioned on these medal rolls, however. Incidentally, there are a number of reasons a man might have apparently served with so many battalions: in some cases it was a nominal thing such as the administrative need for all men to be "owned" by some parent unit at all times, in others it might represent a real, physical transfer e.g. as part of a draft to fill a need for manpower, or re-allocation on return from convalescence from a wound or illness.

The pencil marks area clerk's annotation of some sort, I think. No idea what they signify.