Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record, unknown format

Paul Milne

Hi,

Looking for some help interpreting this service record.  It is in a format I have not come across before.

Its the (partial?) service record of my grad uncle, Richard Milne.  It looks like it is a record from his time in the R.F.C./R.A.F. from January 1918 to discharge in April 1920.  However his referenced Army Service record seems to be from September 1914.

My questions are; 

What is this document?

Is the Official Number his R.F.C./R.A.F. Service Number, 126450?

Can anyone help with deciphering his Movements entries on this record?

How can I check his previous Army Service Record?  this is the only record I can find under his name.

Thanks in advance 

Paul

2023-02-06 Richard Milne Military Service Record.jpg

17 minutes ago, Paul Milne said:

What is this document?

His RAF service record.

18 minutes ago, Paul Milne said:

s the Official Number his R.F.C./R.A.F. Service Number, 126450?

Yes 

18 minutes ago, Paul Milne said:

How can I check his previous Army Service Record?  this is the only record I can find under his name.

Medal index card shows previous service under no 49403 as Sapper RE. 

Charlie

Thanks,

Will follow up on 49403 Sapper RE

Paul

The medical entries on the RAF record relate to his time in the Army and are very helpful.

He was reported wounded in the daily casualty list of 30/8/17 as a Sapper RE. List publication normally some 4 wks after actual event. 

RAF record shows admitted 23/7/17 to the New Zealand Stationary Hospital, Hazebrouck,  with GsW left arm, mild. The actual wounding probably a few days earlier? 

Subsequently evacuated to England.

Edited by charlie962

You will see his RAF record shows he joined the Army 4/9/14.

That fits with the probable issue date of his RE number 49403. 

Near number 49401(also a fitter) joined Glasgow 5/9/14 at the RE Depot.

Since Milne was also from Glasgow this seems right. I don't think any further conclusion can be drawn on subsequent unit from that near number.

There is a reverse side to his RAF record, see Findmypast.

It confirms his trade as Fitter AE, aeroengine, and his medal qualification which gives us his first date overseas with the RE. Perhaps this last matches a particular Divisional RE? 

chrome_screenshot_1675715134658.png.e44e045f39620e0a421426d05e7c6eaf.png

Edited by charlie962

Wow!

Thanks Charlie, this is amazing.  There was no family knowledge of Richard Milne's WW1 service, I has assumed he was probably too old and possibly in a reserved occupation.  Your information will set me up for many hours of further investigation.  As a retired engineer myself, the fact that he latterly worked on WW1 aircraft engines is fascinating, a whole investigation line in itself.

The information that he was wounded means that both grandfathers and now my great uncle were wounded but not too seriously, and all went back to active service.  Looks like all three volunteered early in the war, making it even more remarkable that they survived.  Two of the three volunteered for the RE.

Much obliged,

Paul

14 hours ago, charlie962 said:

The medical entries on the RAF record relate to his time in the Army and are very helpful.

He was reported wounded in the daily casualty list of 30/8/17 as a Sapper RE. List publication normally some 4 wks after actual event. 

RAF record shows admitted 23/7/17 to the New Zealand Stationary Hospital, Hazebrouck,  with GsW left arm, mild. The actual wounding probably a few days earlier? 

Subsequently evacuated to England.

Charlie,

His RAF record states RE BEF France 21/5/15 to 10/2/16, however his wounding was ~21/7/17.  Does this mean he was not in France from 11/2/16 for a period?