Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hell on earth?

Guest josh10

Hi everybody, sorry to bother you all. You have probably heard this a lot before.

I'm doing a history essay and its title is "Hell on Earth?"

I need evidence for it being Hell on Earth and evidence saying that it wasn't. Could any body tell me a bit about the conditions in the trenches and how long they spent in there. Thanks a lot

Click on 'The Long Long Trail' feature at the top of the site. You will find lots to work on there.

Ypres 1917 from the History of the 8th Royal Scots Pioneers to the 51st Highland Division.

"During the summer of 1917,the Battalion had another long continuous spell in the line.It went into the line----,north of of the town of Ypres,on 18th June,and remained in the line until 28th September.During the time the Division was out of the line the Battalion was attached to the 17th or 18th Corps and carried out work on the forward roads.These roads were far from healthy,and most people would have preferred to continue working forward.The conditions of Flanders made the Pioneer's lot not a happy one,but they stuck to their job bravely.Though driven off work daily by shell,gas,and bombing,the record of the work done by the Battalion is unsurpassed.The Pioneers are the handy men of the Division,and do everything,from building the GOC's fireplace to staunching enemy attacks,or leading the Division "over the top".

The summer of 1917 was a very wet one,so the operations in Flanders were severely hampered by the mud and water.

The casualties during the three months in Flanders,were heavy.Two Officers and 26 other ranks were killed,and 2 officers and 128 other ranks wounded."

As a balance from the same History

Estaires

"From 14th to 27th April 1915,the Battalion enjoyed a period of rest at Estaires,and learned that even campaigning could be pleasant.It moved back to its old billet at Outersteen towards the end of the month.It was at this village that the Battalion came first in contact with the peasants,and the welcome received on their return was a testimony of how the "Soldats Ecossais" were beloved.When the Battalion passed this village in the days to follow,it brought back happy memories,many stories,and a feeling of home.The Cadre passed it on their way home(in 1919) but,to their deep regret, found that the village had been utterly destroyed during the enemy's offensive in the spring of 1918"

George

p.s. I echo what Desmond suggests.

Hi everybody, sorry to bother you all. You have probably heard this a lot before.

I'm doing a history essay and its title is "Hell on Earth?"

I need evidence for it being Hell on Earth and evidence saying that it wasn't. Could any body tell me a bit about the conditions in the trenches and how long they spent in there. Thanks a lot

Hi Tony, you will have no problem finding evidence to support the 'Hell on Earth' idea. One book for the other side might be Tony Ashworth's " Trench Warfare 1914-1918" which is subtitled. " The live and let live system".

One book for the other side might be Tony Ashworth's " Trench Warfare 1914-1918" which is subtitled. " The live and let live system".

I recommend that book heartily; hell on earth? At times certainly, but on many sections of the front for at least part of the time, although unpleasant and dangerous, conditions and behaviour did not match the horrors of the certain imfamous spots.

S

Josh,

You might have a read at the 8th |battalion AIF, the Diary of John Gibson Pitt, posted in Units and Formations in this forum. The first section is about the Gallipolli Campaign, the second about France and Flanders. He wrote his diary as he went along, and it's full of what life was really like in the trenches. Seems to have been a mixture of Hell and Routine Boredom. A very fresh and vivid account.

Marina

Josh,

you might like to read an account of the "Hell" side of the war.

Try this site: www.firstworldwar.com/diaries/floodatsuvlabay.htm

This soldier survived to fight again in France,

As a general rule, War is more like Hell than not.

johng