Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Azmak CWGC

Bennett

Does anyone know the direction, heading and distance the present day Azmak CWGC cemetery is from the then Kidney Hill attack by the 162nd Brigade on August 15, 1915 attack?  Thank You

You can use TrenchMapper to find that. Right click and choose Gallipoli then use Advanced Find for Azmak. You may need the Opacity slider top right to see the modern map underneath.

You can right click and set a marker for the cemetery and then more wherever you want. Then you can use the Bearing and Distance tool top left to make the measurements.

Howard

Edited by Howard

@Bennett, following @Howard's suggestions but inputting kidney into Quick Search, shows that the bearing is 193° for 2,075 yards.  Shown on a 1915 map with handwritten annotations from 8/8/1915.  Other maps show more detail of specific trenches, but no named trenches.

image.png.368fb8364f8379676377c993bc22b510.png

Brilliant. Just what I needed. Thanks to you both  Ralph

10 hours ago, Bennett said:

Does anyone know the direction, heading and distance the present day Azmak CWGC cemetery is from the then Kidney Hill 

Are you thinking of making that journey yourself?

If so then have a good look at the contours and perhaps Google earth too. It's quite a steep climb over rough ground and thick brush & undergrowth. It will take some time to climb to the ridge and you may have to stray from that bearing from time to time. It will not be an easy walk, but it will be well worth it in the end. Good luck.

Michael 

image.jpeg.b6cc6681fec0f99c883620d646e8d599.jpeg

Edited by michaeldr
to add map

Thanks very much Michael. Good advice. I will choose this or that view from various places along the roads and paths with an occasional very short off-road foray and definitely not on August 15th.

Perhaps I could complete the ascent but very likely would much regret it.  Those poor young men on August 15th with no appreciation of the terrain, little water, no sunscreen, no communication system etc., losing touch with their officers and friends only yards away, unable to see the enemy that was killing them. Seems to me that this very ill-chosen attack was a war crime against their youthful innocence and bravery. 

Thanks again. Your map is great.  Ralph