Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras: cellars and caves

Private Wilkinson

Does anyone know the most nourishing books or WO diaries - I assume RE - to look in for details of the cellars and caves at Arras? I'm particularly keen to discover more about the cellars under the Grande Place.

Many thanks.

Hi, sometimes the Town Plan series shows cellars but the Arras one doesn't.  While this RE sketch map stops 300 m short of the Grand Place it may jog someone's memory.  Click to enlarge and on the right it shows full details of where the IWM originally sourced it from.

image.png.5589a874352ca83d7339c39d29577e48.png

• 3 weeks later...

I know that I have seen something prior to 1917, I will try and find it.

For 09/04/1917 TLLT lists the Divisions involved. As an example the WD of 12 Div RE has this table attached to Operational Order 12 dated 07/04/1917 which mentions locations in cellars etc. TNA WO 95/1835.

The April 1917 WDs of 35, 36 and 37 Infantry Brigades of 12 Div have more information i.e 35 IB refers to getting from the Museum to their assembly points via the Tunnel System and 36 IB has Operational Order 157 again showing locations in cellars. 

Brian

1835.jpg

The June 1916 WD of 14 Div HQ GS has this map of Arras which shows Grande Place and some street names. No cellars but it might help. I looked in the WD of the Div RE. 

TNA WO 95/1865

Brian

1865.jpg

Try a search for 'Arras Boves', it should result in several relavent websites

'Boves' is the local name for the cellars/caves that have been used since the 12th century.

there is short description of them in the Michelin Guide Battle-Fields of Arras and the Battles of Artois.