Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corsham VAD Hospital, Wiltshire: "Headquarters Hospital 30"

Moonraker

I've just acquired this uncaptioned photograph which, happily shows the same building as in the card that featured in a post of mine dated 2010.

842896266_CorshamTownHallVADhospitalexport.jpg.d269bec8d4cf87f37cbeaaea991f0036.jpg

I've already created a post in Uniforms about the lady in the dark clothing on the left (and I briefly wondered about the man in the top hat on the right - perhaps he's the hospital joker?).

But I wondered about this being a "headquarters hospital", as proclaimed above the doorway. What did this entail?  And it seems to bear the number "Wilts 30", and again I was unaware that VAD hospitals were numbered - and I have fewer than 30 VAD hospitals listed for Wiltshire.

Thoughts, please!

Incidentally the town-hall building featured in the centenary commemorations: photograph

I've done some research into the Gloucestershire VAD hospitals which also have a number allocated to them that does not relate to the number of Hospitals in the county. The attached pages from a commemorative booklet published in 1919 show the details for 2 of Cheltenham's hospitals.

Searching the Red Cross site using the keyword Horsham brings up 50 names of staff who worked there, some of whom are likely to be in your photo. Strangely details include the details Wiltshire 3 on some cards. https://vad.redcross.org.uk

Hope that's of some help,

Dave

image.png.1d59f73e176604d1249fa0313f6d36cc.png

Image courtesy of British Red Cross Site

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 16.52.58.png

Edited by dink999

This relates to the 'Wiltshire 30 Voluntary Aid Detachment'.

Agreed. 30 being an even number indicates that it was a female VAD detachment.

Key amongst the VAD personnel were The Hon. Ethel Christian Methuen (always known as Christian) who served as the VADs first Commandant and her sister The Hon. Ellen Seymour Methuen, daughters of FM Lord Methuen who occupied the Methuen ancestral home at Corsham Court at that time. As a consequence of his daughters' involvement with the Hospital His Lordship opened up the grounds of the estate for use by mobile (walking wounded) and wheel chair carried patients for recreation purposes.

Odd numbers indicated male detachments. Ambulance support to Wilts 30 VAD was provided by Wilts 3 VAD.

See: http://www.wiltshireatwar.org.uk/story/the-red-cross-hospital-at-corsham/

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Added info

Thanks for the further information. I hadn't realised that VAD detachments were numbered. I don't suppose that there's an on-line list of them?

I hadn't realised that VAD detachments were numbered. I don't suppose that there's an on-line list of them?

Detachments were formed and numbered within County Territorial Force Associations from 1909.

I am not aware of any published listing, there were so many detachments - 2,500 by Summer 1914.  For example Kent had 162.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Added info

• 8 months later...

Wiltshire 5 VAD was formed and operated in Salisbury where they provided support to the ladies of Wiltshire 8 VAD.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS