Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oases Prison Camps in Egypt/El Kharga

amccor

Hi there! There have been a couple of times that I've read a reference to the oases of Egypt having been used as prison camps during WWI for nationalist prisoners, specifically El Kharga. However, in researching it, I'm having trouble finding anything more specific about these prison camps. I did come across an account of an Egyptian nationalist who was held in a brutal prison camp in El Kharga in the 1950s so I'm fairly certain there was one there at least later on (though I can't find any other accounts) but not much else. Does any one know if these camps did, in fact, exist?

Thank you!

Mate,

I known we kept Troops in the Area (Camel Corps and Armoured Cars) during the Senssui peroid, but as far as I am aware there was no prison there during the war

The prison you refer is which was built in 1956 by Nasser, he made a lot of changes to the area during that time

Al Wadi Al Gadid (the New Valley) prison is known for serveral names (the exile, the oasis, Maharik (the burned), Toker). It is one of the oldest and most famous prisons in Egypt. It is located in the western desert, in Al Kharga city, close to Al Sherka village in the New Valley governorate. 630 km away from Cairo.

Thanks so much! Yes, that's probably the prison I'm referring to--the account I found of it called it El-Wahat, which I believe means "The Oasis" and the writer did say it had been recently built when he was there in 1959. I wish I could find the source where I had read that several of the oases were used as prison camps during the war (it was years ago that I read it), but maybe they weren't official POW camps, if they existed at all. There doesn't seem to be a record of them at any rate. I appreciate your help--getting the name of the Al Wadi Al Gadid is also extremely helpful!

There were a number of oasis in that area, which was well away from the main areas (of Sohag and Luxor)

A good place to put one, as there's a big desert before the water (Nile) along the main towns.

What happen there in the later half of the war I don't know, they may of put one there?

But there were other places used, with better support then Kharga, which was well out of the way.

This interesting article shows a British presence in this desolate place and mentions the more modern prison.

"El Deir or “monastery” was the first settlement we reached. It’s a stunning Roman fortress located northwest of Kharga, not far from one of Egypt’s most notorious and remote prison complexes. After the fort had been abandoned by the Romans, it was most likely used by Egyptian orthodox monks which explains the origins of its present name. The walls are scribbled with graffiti scratched by British soldiers (below) who were stationed there during WWI to protect Kharga from attacks by Sanusi tribesmen." 

Source: Egypt Beyond the Nile: Roman Forts of the Kharga Depression (Part II) - NEGATIVE COLORS

I've come up with nothing specific to suggest there was a prison camp as such but there are several references to Sennussi/Sanusi tribesmen being captured, and presumably held, in other sources relating to the broader campaign. 

kharga.jpeg

Edited by TullochArd

A bit of Googling shows there was a 'penal colony' established in the Kharga oasis pre-WW1 by the colonial government. attached is from "Fallāḥīn on Trial in Colonial Egypt: Apprehending the Peasantry through Orality, Writing, and Performance (1884-1914)" by Anne Marie Clément 2012

The footnote reference is to "Policing Islam: The British Occupation of Egypt and the Anglo-Egyptian Struggle Over Control of the Police, 1882–1914". By Harold Tollefson. 1999 which looks like it might have more on Kharga & background references I presume.

All the best Dom

Screenshot_2023-02-06-12-55-49.png