Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to identify location of this bridge

Grain Kitten

Asking for a friend of a friend, he asked:

A Scout leader friend of mine is trying to track down the location where the attached picture was taken which is believed to be either Belgium or France.  The chap in the photo Frank Marchant who was trained as a chemist and joined the RAMC during the war. Mike understands however that he was attached to a logistics unit involved with getting clean water to the front lines presumably due to his training he was either involved in checking the waters cleanliness or in doing whatever was done to purify it. He has no other information about his grandfather’s unit as that would probably make tracking the location down a bit easier.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Steve

Frank Marchant Bridge.jpg

It looks to be the Rheinbrücke in Bonn.

The bridge was destroyed in 1945 and was rebuilt 1948-49, renamed the Kennedy Bridge in 1963
Charlie

843FA2E5-99E0-4ECF-9676-3B8998064C7F.jpeg

Edited by charlie2

10 hours ago, Grain Kitten said:

Asking for a friend of a friend, he asked:

A Scout leader friend of mine is trying to track down the location where the attached picture was taken which is believed to be either Belgium or France.  The chap in the photo Frank Marchant who was trained as a chemist and joined the RAMC during the war. Mike understands however that he was attached to a logistics unit involved with getting clean water to the front lines presumably due to his training he was either involved in checking the waters cleanliness or in doing whatever was done to purify it. He has no other information about his grandfather’s unit as that would probably make tracking the location down a bit easier.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Steve

Section in bold sounds more like an RAMC Sanitary Section. There's usually one per division but there's also Corps and Army Sanitation. Alternatively, the RAMC also ran Mobile Laboratories. I've certainly seen references to RAMC being sent in to find, test and report on local water supplies.

Clearly part of the Army of Occupation of the Rhine.

There's a Frank C Marchant RAMC #79432

TEW

9 hours ago, charlie2 said:

It looks to be the Rheinbrücke in Bonn.

The bridge was destroyed in 1945 and was rebuilt 1948-49, renamed the Kennedy Bridge in 1963
Charlie

843FA2E5-99E0-4ECF-9676-3B8998064C7F.jpeg

Thanks Charlie, I'll pass it on.

Steve