Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Broadbridge Crater (near Souchez)

AGWR

Hi,

I am trying to find out about Broadbridge Crater and two neighbouring craters, which formed the Northern Group of Craters near Souchez. Does anyone have any info about who originally blew these mines, and in what circumstances?

Also, does anyone have any detailed maps of this area circa June 1916? I already have a map from the Trench Maps CD.

Finally, does any trace remain today?

Kind Regards,

AGWR

Isn't this the mine blown under the 8th Loyal North Lancs on 21st May 1916?

That mine was just to the south of Broadmarsh Crater (which was an earlier crater). Was Broadbridge and Broadmarsh one and the same?

Dave.

Thanks chaps,

I have seen references to both Broadbridge and Broadmarsh in accounts and histories. I don't think that they are the same.

One of the other craters was called Mildven , if that helps?

Regards

AGWR

Edited by AGWR

Dave,

If it's any help, the 1st Kings launched a raid in this area on 1st June 1916. I don't know if the regimental history sheds any light on it.

Regards,

AGWR

Thanks chaps,

I have seen references to both Broadbridge and Broadmarsh in accounts and histories. I  don't think that they are the same.

One of the other craters was called Mildven , if that helps?

Regards

AGWR

Mildren was 2 craters to the south of Broadbridge Crater in a group of (by mid 1917) approx 12 or 13 craters which all linked into each other. Broadmarsh Crater was further to the south, and does still exist in the canadian Memorial Park.

They are indeed two separate craters.

Dave.

Mildren was 2 craters to the south of Broadbridge Crater in a group of (by mid 1917) approx 12 or 13 craters which all linked into each other.  Broadmarsh Crater was further to the south, and does still exist in the canadian Memorial Park.

They are indeed two separate craters.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I don't suppose that you know what the other crater was called? I believe that there was essentially a group of three craters side by side by June 1916.

Regards,

AGWR

Just to clarify my own, somewhat, limited knowledge.

Wasn't Broadbridge formed by the firing of a defensive camouflet mine, which caused the German mine to blow, hence forming the crater?

Regards, Chris.

Mildren crater was indeed 2 craters to the S of Broadbridge. It was named after Lt-Col WF Mildren CB CMG DSO TD who was CO of the 1/6th London Regiment from 10 Aug 1915 to 2 Jan 1918, and who then became Brig-Gen OC 141 Inf Bde, 47 Div.

The crater immediately S and adjacent to Mildren was called New Cut.

Some of these were blown by the Germans in May 1916. There is a section on this fighting in the British Official History 1916 Vol 1.

I have had a good look around that area, which is near the ruined 44th Bn CEF memorial which is on the crest. Using the trench maps and 1:25,000 IGN maps I reckon the craters were in line just to the west of where the 44th bn memorial is, and lay more or less in the line of the motorway, the building of which must have obliterated any craters that remained. :angry:

Charles

Mildren crater was indeed 2 craters to the S of Broadbridge.  It was named after Lt-Col WF Mildren CB CMG DSO TD who was CO of the 1/6th London Regiment from 10 Aug 1915 to 2 Jan 1918, and who then became Brig-Gen OC 141 Inf Bde, 47 Div.

The crater immediately S and adjacent to Mildren was called New Cut.

Some of these were blown by the Germans in May 1916.  There is a section on this fighting in the British Official History 1916 Vol 1.

I have had a good look around that area, which is near the ruined 44th Bn CEF memorial which is on the crest.  Using the trench maps and 1:25,000 IGN maps I reckon the craters were in line just to the west of where the 44th bn memorial is, and lay more or less in the line of the motorway, the building of which must have obliterated any craters that remained.  :angry:

Charles

Excellent. Thanks a lot, Charles.

Regards,

AGWR