Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women at war

MikeyH

Currently screening on Netflix this mini series melodrama follows the lives of several very different French women in the early part of the war.  Known in France as 'Les Combattantes' and featuring the always watchable Audrey Flerout.  The plot is somewhat far fetched, but the French uniforms and equipment seem to me to be pretty accurate.  The action takes place in the Vosges mountains, the town of Saint-Paulin and a convent in use as a miltary hospital.  A number of specially constucted recreations of period trucks/ambulances are used and look fairly authentic.  The dubbing has an American feel to it, and it grates to hear the enemy referred to as 'Krauts'.  But overall a good production and an enjoyable viewing experience.

Edited by MikeyH

Hello,

I've been catching it as well, a real joy to see such different parts of WWI told through different eyes in recent years. Very interesting also to see not only plots constructed around women close to the frontlines, but the mobile first couple months of the war and the French in their early and outdated blues and reds. The experience is much better in its original French in my opinion (with or without subtitles), but a very good watch !

Thomas