Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Abbreviation help

Stretcher Bearer

I believe that Rein Park was the Reinforcement Park at Arques. I think what looks like "2 A P" might be No. 2 Aircraft Park. Would that be right? I think the abbreviation underneath 92 Squadron might be something to do with Manston. It would be helpful to know where 2 Bed HQ was at that time. Help with the ranking abbreviations would also help. It's a lot but any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 14.41.18.png

• 6 months later...

Wow...stumbled across this old thread.  Sorry you haven't received any answers.  Here are a couple of items that might help.

2 AP is almost certainly 2 Aircraft Park.  

2 Bde was attached to the Army's 2nd Army.  Bases of squadrons that formed part of 2 Bde at the time of the Armistice include: Linselles, Menin, Staceghem, Sweveghem, Marcke, Halluin, Reckham, Cuerne, Ste. Margeuerite.  Apart from Marcke, most bases are north of Lille, and northwest of Roubaix.  By April 1919, The Bde may have pushed further forward by the time your man joined the HQ.

92 Sqdn is pretty self-evident.  In July 1919, the Sqn was probably at Eil near Cologne, forming part of the occupation forces in Germany.

'Fraid I can't help with the acronym associated with Manston.  

For the rank abbreviations: 2AM is Airman Second Class; AM3 is probably Airman Third Class (probably the same effective rank, just reflecting the change from RFC to RAF); he was reclassified as an Aircraftman Second Class as a "Fitter AE" which I think (stress "think" was Fitter Aero Engines); finally reclassified as an Aircraftman First Class, still as a Fitter AE.

Hope this helps a little.  Hopefully this thread nudge will encourage others more knowledgeable than I to chime in.