Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Long Service Medal and Clasp query

williywonker

Could any member advise if there is a source for confirming Royal Navy Long Service Medals with additional clasps? I am researching the service of No K21015 Petty Officer (Stoker) Arthur Robert Murrell who was awarded a LSGC Medal in 1929. This is confirmed in his service papers. He entered the service in 1913 and had an unblemished record for over 40 years, being discharged to pension in 1955. His LSGC Medal has a clasp but this is not mentioned in his papers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mal                                                  

If you get no joy here ask on the British medal forum 

@williywonker

I have he partial roll published in 'The Naval LS Medals', When I get home I will check for you.

Edited by RNCVR

LS - 8 Jan 1929.  Clasp - 29 Oct 1952.

According to ADM 363/28/45 he was awarded presented LS&GCM and gratuity 1/3/29. Also awarded King’s Jubilee Medal 6/5/35.

edit - He was advanced to CPO in 1931 and there was a break in service between 5 Oct 1935 and 6 Sept 1939.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD
Correction inserted and extra info added.

According to K. Douglas-Morris book, “The Naval Long Service medals”, Murrell received the clasp to his L.S. medal 29-10-1952.

I also wanted to brag I have the LS medal w/clasp to K 57910 E.S. Mortimer, another Stoker P.O.

Best wishes

Snuffy

F8B24CA8-3CB8-46B8-926E-BF1D6151AB32.jpeg

Edited by Pte Snuffy

Many thanks to RNCVR and KizmeRD for your help. It's much appreciated.

Mal

Also to Snuffy for the extract from the Roll

Mal

9 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

there was a break in service between 5 Oct 1935 and 6 Sept 1939.

That break was between his discharge to pension  and his recall for WW2 as a pensioner.

There was a second break in his service. He was discharged again in Class 'A' at the war's end in August 1945. He re-entered in September 1950 on a series of short Non-Continuous Service (NCS) engagements as a pensioner until final discharge in April 1955, 42 years after his first entry.

The additional 15 years of service required for his lS&GC Clasp were served 1929-35 - Break - 1939-45 - Break - 1950-52.

A fine record of 33 years service in the Fleet to the age of 60.

4 hours ago, horatio2 said:

That break was between his discharge to pension  and his recall for WW2 as a pensioner.

There was a second break in his service. He was discharged again in Class 'A' at the war's end in August 1945. He re-entered in September 1950 on a series of short Non-Continuous Service (NCS) engagements as a pensioner until final discharge in April 1955, 42 years after his first entry.

The additional 15 years of service required for his lS&GC Clasp were served 1929-35 - Break - 1939-45 - Break - 1950-52.

A fine record of 33 years service in the Fleet to the age of 60.

Thanks for this explanation H2. I did wonder why he had to wait 23 years for the clasp to his LS&GCM. 

Horatio.

Thank you for this additional information.

For some reason I had interpreted the NCS as the Naval Careers Service and not the Non-Continuous Service arrangement.

I have much to learn.

M