Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl. Percy Howarth 7th Canadian Infantry Identified

MelPack

First World War remains identified as Corporal Percy Howarth, 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion

The remains of Corporal Percy Howarth of the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion, CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) have been formally identified by the Canadian Armed Forces Casualty Identification Program.

howarth-1.jpg?rmode=max&width=1002&heigh

Corporal Howarth's whistle and pocket watch shown as recovered and later restored by CWGC's Christian Cousin.

Corporal Howarth was reported missing, later presumed dead on the 15 August 1917 in the Battle of Hill 70 near Lens, France, aged 23. The Battle lasted 10 days with more than 10,000 Canadians killed, wounded or missing in which 140 of Corporal Howarth’s Battalion were killed.

Percy Howarth was born on the 15 August 1894 in Darwen, Lancashire, England to Richard and Margaret Howarth and seven siblings. He emigrated to Canada in 1912 working as a seaman in Vancouver, British Colombia before enlisting with the 121st ‘Overseas’ Battalion, CEF on the 19 July 1916.

Arriving at Liverpool, England on the 24 August 1916, Private Howarth joined the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion, CEF, undergoing training and eventually joining his unit in France on the 29 November 1916. While in France he was hospitalised with influenza for a week and was promoted to Lance Corporal in May 1917.

His Battalion was in the second wave at the Battle of Hill 70 on 15th August 1917 where he was reported missing, presumed dead and as such his name was added to the Canadian National Vimy Memorial to the missing after the First World War.

During munitions clearing at a construction site in Vendin-le-Vieil, France on June 9th 2011, human remains and artifacts including a digging tool, whistle and pocket watch were discovered.

Through painstaking research, DNA analysis, with help from the Canadian Forces Forensic Odontology Response Team and Canadian Museum of History, the Canadian Casualty Identification Review Board confirmed the remains as those of Corporal Howarth in October 2021.

Corporal Howarth will be buried at the earliest opportunity in CWGC Loos British Cemetery, Loos-en-Gohelle, France and his grave marked by a newly-engraved CWGC headstone.

The Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence said:
"Time and distance do not diminish the courage Corporal Howarth brought to the battlefield in service to Canada. His family should trust that I and all Canadians will remember the ultimate sacrifice he made. Lest we forget.”

The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence said:
"Nearly 10,000 Canadians were killed, wounded or declared missing in the Battle of Hill 70, Corporal Howarth among them. Now, more than 100 years later we remember Corporal Howarth’s selfless courage and sacrifice in the name of duty and that of all his comrades.”

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/news/first-world-war-remains-identified-as-corporal-percy-howarth-7th-canadian-infantry-battalion/?mc_cid=ffe1457490&mc_eid=75f2a925e8

Good evening,
I will be delighted to know when the ceremony will take place in order to attend and immortalize the ceremony to pay tribute to it.
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards

michel

Michel

I will keep my eyes peeled and drop you a PM when the details are known.

In the meantime, there is a full biography for Percy on the Canadian Government website here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/casualty-identification-military/corporal-percy-howarth.html

Hi

Percy had a brother who also with the Canadians and served the war. He also had another brother who lost his life with the British forces

Tony

• 4 months later...

The burial of Cpl Percy Howarth and two other named Canadin soldiers will take place at 2.00pm on 8th June next in the British Loos Cemetery:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/news/2023/05/three-canadian-first-world-war-soldiers-to-be-buried-in-france.html

Good evening
Thanks for the information.
I will be there.
I will represent the Association of "Veterans Affairs" of Loos.
I will do a photo report for the forum.

michel