Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Officers

kildaremark

Looking for help on this photo and apologies for the low quality which will not help.

The photo is taken in 1920/21 but all WW1 veterans.

The middle officer is a Major John Frederick Barrington.

Even with the poor  quality could anyone help me with the ranks of the other officers?

The likely candidates, based on the surviving Battery Digest are

Captain HCR Caudle

2/Lt WG Abinett

Lt HA Ross

Lt HW Watkins

Lt JW Warner

The NCO is either a BSM Mackee or Taber

Thank

Mark

63176CED-2BFE-49F1-920F-B21C38318E6F.jpeg

19 hours ago, kildaremark said:

Looking for help on this photo and apologies for the low quality which will not help.

Even with the poor  quality could anyone help me with the ranks of the other officers?

The likely candidates, based on the surviving Battery Digest are

Captain HCR Caudle

2/Lt WG Abinett

Lt HA Ross

Lt HW Watkins

Lt JW Warner

The NCO is either a BSM Mackee or Taber

Thank

Mark

63176CED-2BFE-49F1-920F-B21C38318E6F.jpeg

The BSM is the fellow right of centre with bandolier, and adjacent to him and left of centre is a major (field rank so 3-rings on cuffs plus single device [a crown] on the slash panel).  Unfortunately the other officers positioned on the flanks have ranks that are indiscernible, as their shoulder stars/pips are out of sight.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
On 23/01/2023 at 20:27, kildaremark said:

I have had a look around for pictures of the men you have listed but drawn a blank. There is a good picture of Major John Frederic Barrington (I presume it is the same Officer) on the IWM web site. Do you know the Battery number? Link here; https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Major+John+Frederick+Barrington+royal+garrison+artillery&pageSize=30&media-records=records-with-media&style=list&filters[periodString][First+World+War]=on

Edited by Bob Davies

Thanks Frogsmile and Bob.

Yes - it is the same Barrington in the photo on the IWM site. The photo above is of 26th Battery which was the renumbered 50th Battery which The IWM photo mentions. That’s how I could identify him. 
I think there is a strong chance that the officer on the left is most likely to be Captain Caudle as he looks a little bit older but I can’t find a photo of him snywhere. The 2/Lts and Lts of this battery were all relatively young.

Thanks

Mark