Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was at Kinmel in 1919

valeried

I have been down many avenues,but i think the best place to find expertise on Kinmel camp is here.

My grandfather, who I know to be one Frank Taylor, was based at Kinmel Camp in 1919.

I have no other infomation on him, as my mother was conceived upon Frank meeting my grandmother in that November at the Hesketh Arms in Abergele, this was close to the camp.

He has proved to be too much for me to try and track down without a regiment.

So my question is who was at Kinmel camp in November 1919?

Any knowledge you could bestow on me would be appreciated greatly.

hello

i dont no if i can be of much help here , if im correct kimmel camp after the war was a holding camp for canadian troops before being sent back to canada ,from what i recall on a tv documentry that conditions were horrendous and that there was a riot ,with some men losing their lives that is all i know . hope it is of some help.

raven

Raven is correct. My grandfathers brother was there in 1919 serving with the CEF and awaiting demobilization.

Have you had a look for him here? If your family recalls anything else at all about him, such as whether he was English or Canadian, you may be able to narrow down the field from the attestation papers which are attached.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020106_e.html

Rgds

Tim

Raven is correct.  My grandfathers brother was there in 1919 serving with the CEF and awaiting demobilization. 

Have you had a look for him here?  If your family recalls anything else at all about him, such as whether he was English or Canadian, you may be able to narrow down the field from the attestation papers which are attached.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020106_e.html

Rgds

Tim

A lot of background about the camp in 1919 is given in Julian Puttkowski's excellent booklet 'The Kinmel Park Riots 1919' Copies of this can apparently still be found in the local area:I got mine from Rhyll public library a few years ago. It was mentioned recently on another thread as still being available.

A lot of background about the camp in 1919 is given in Julian Puttkowski's excellent booklet 'The Kinmel Park Riots 1919' Copies of this can apparently still be found in the local area:I got mine from Rhyll public library a few years ago. It was mentioned recently on another thread as still being available.

Whilst many of the the troops at Kinmel, in 1919, were Canadian, not all of them were by any means.

If you look at the CWGC listing for Bodelwyddan Churchyard you'll find a number of Brits amongst the 1919 burials. Probably most British deaths will have been taken to their home town for burial, leaving either locals, guys with no family or guys whose families could not afford the transport of the body home.

John

Hi Raven

I was aware of the canadian presence, but I have been told that thet had all gone home by Nov 1919 but thanks for the reply.

Hi Tim

Have had a look for Frank at the Canadian web site , would have dug deeper but not worth it if they had gone home .I know there are about 50 Frank Taylors, but what i need is when they arrived home so i could eliminate some of them.

What is on there records is all about them but i dont know which one he is if any.

Only wish someone in the family knew him but my Mother was an orphan.

Hi Mark Will try and obtain copy of book it might tell me who was there, I thought soldier's were monited and the army would know where they were how foolish am I.

Think I need to go back to school to reply on this site, finding the new format a pain.

Thanks for your help

Valerei

• 2 weeks later...

John and Valerie

Bodelwyddan Churchyard you'll find a number of Brits amongst the 1919 burials

I seem to recall that Kinmel Park Camp housed a military hospital during WWI.

I do recall Kinmel Park as being a terrific place to serve (I joined there as a boy soldier in 1964 - the start of a 37 year hobby!!)

Chris Best

:)

• 1 year later...
I have been down many avenues,but i think the best place to find expertise on Kinmel camp is here.

My grandfather, who I know to be one Frank Taylor, was based at Kinmel Camp in 1919.

I have no other infomation on him, as my mother was conceived upon Frank meeting my grandmother in that November at the Hesketh Arms in Abergele, this was close to the camp.

He has proved to be too much for me to try and track down without a regiment.

So my question is who was at Kinmel camp in November 1919?

Any knowledge you could bestow on me would be appreciated greatly.

Hello Valerie

My grandfather was at Kinmel in 1917, it was his residence when he married my grandmother in thanet kent, only know he was a private, may have trained there dont know if if went to war he was 29 at the time?

LAURA