Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Poppy Lady The Story of Madame Anna Guérin and the Remembrance Poppy

heatherannej

Hello all,

This is my book, published at the beginning of December last year, by Pen and Sword.  It is the first I have ever written and the only one I have ever been inspired to write. Researching and identifying who this Madame Guérin really was became a passion and, although I doubted my ability, I just had to be the first person to write her first biography.  During the Great War years, the people of the USA. knew her to be "the greatest of all War speakers".  She raised funds for many charities that benefitted (directly and indirectly) France, which included the US War Bonds.  After the Armistice was signed, France's "After-War Work" began and the French government asked her to return the America to raise money for the children of the devastated areas of France.  Her life evolved to lead to her "big idea" in 1920 ... the Inter-Allied Poppy Day!  It was not long before I realised people of English-speaking allied nations once knew her as the "Originator of the Flanders Poppy Day" but she had been all but forgotten and certainly not given the recognition due.  My quest is to see her come into the limelight ... where she should be.  She is the person who put the remembrance poppy on your lapel.  :poppy:

Available at Pen and Sword .... other book sellers are available ;)  https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Poppy-Lady-Hardback/p/21829

Poppy_ThePoppyLady_Front Cover_GreatWarForum.jpg

Great work Heather, one to go on the list, and a bit of a coincidence as I was just looking for poppies online.

Pete.

7 minutes ago, sueburden said:

Congratulations

Thank you Sue ... it is all about raising the profile of this great woman.  Heather

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Great work

Thank you.  I know there are lots more people searching out poppies now, which is a good thing ... preserving the emblem of remembrance. I bet you are someone I compete with sometimes :P  Heather

1 hour ago, heatherannej said:

I know there are lots more people searching out poppies now, which is a good thing

I like to think so. Mine were the seed variety; I sow common field poppies (or more accurately they sow themselves) along with cornflowers for the French, forget me nots for Germany and I want to grow a Marguerite daisy for Belgium. I am also told by an uninpeachable source that periwinkles were sown by the Germans so I keep saying I'll get some of those.

As for competition I am sure that I would always be a very distant second :whistle:.

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Mine were the seed variety

2/3rds of our small garden is put down to cornflowers and poppies .... the bees love them all, don't they.  You have the Newfoundlanders wearing the forget-me-not too.  We have periwinkle in places too and I did not know about the link to Germany - I have it because it is my Scottish clan flower ... be warned, it can be invasive.  Heather

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2023 at 07:00, The Scorer said:

It's on my list!

Thank you for the interest ... I hope you enjoy learning about Anna Guérin, whenever you get a copy.  Thank you, Heather

• 2 months later...

I've recently finished this and, as I thought it would be, it's a fascinating story. 

Anna Guerin was truly a remarkable woman, and someone that I knew nothing about before reading the book. I would recommend it to anyone.   

Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I've recently finished this and, as I thought it would be, it's a fascinating story. 

Oh, thank you for that 🌺  I was never ever inclined to write a book until I began to research this elusive "Madame Guerin".  Early on, bewitched by the reviews I was reading, I said to my husband I could write a book about this woman, then I doubted if I was capable of doing it.  In the end, I had to try.  I'm very humble, someone told me no book is perfect and I know mine isn't but the reasoning behind it is to enlighten anyone interested in the history of the remembrance poppy about Anna Guérin, "Originator of the Poppy Day".  Thanks again for taking the time to post, it's much appreciated and it's made my day. Heather