Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Equipment brought by the AEF

healdav

I am looking through an already published book that is due to get a new edition, so that the author can correct things not correct in the previous edition. The book is not directly about the fighting in WW1.

Among other things I have noticed that the author has put in a comment that the British and French were waiting for the Americans to arrive in 1918, and they in turn were awaiting the arrival of their 'tanks, aircraft and other heavy equipment'.

I was under the impression that the Americans used French tanks, and while they may have brought a few aircraft with them, most were either French or British, as was other heavy equipment.

Am I correct? I would like to be able to say a bit more to the author about this other than, "You are wrong".

Britain was contracted to supply several hundred large calibre heavy howitzers (9.2-inch). These were not delivered before the Armistice, and an agreement was subsequently reached to substitute the order for 200 x 60-pounder field guns. These were on Mk II and Mk III carriages and were delivered about 1920. They were stored at Aberdeen Proving Grounds until the US Army declared them obsolete and were distributed around the USA as war memorial guns in the early 30s.

Certainly the AEF used British & French artillery, tanks & aircraft. The ability of the AEF to be deployed on the Western Front was severely limited by training and the supply of materiel essential to deploy an Army on the battlefield. An essential part of this picture was General Pershing's ambition that the AEF only be deployed as an "Army" rather than to permit infantry battalions to be slotted into British and French infantry divisions.    

On 24/01/2023 at 10:17, Chasemuseum said:

Britain was contracted to supply several hundred large calibre heavy howitzers (9.2-inch). These were not delivered before the Armistice, and an agreement was subsequently reached to substitute the order for 200 x 60-pounder field guns. These were on Mk II and Mk III carriages and were delivered about 1920. They were stored at Aberdeen Proving Grounds until the US Army declared them obsolete and were distributed around the USA as war memorial guns in the early 30s.

Certainly the AEF used British & French artillery, tanks & aircraft. The ability of the AEF to be deployed on the Western Front was severely limited by training and the supply of materiel essential to deploy an Army on the battlefield. An essential part of this picture was General Pershing's ambition that the AEF only be deployed as an "Army" rather than to permit infantry battalions to be slotted into British and French infantry divisions.    

Thanks for that. You have confirmed what I thought.